Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Getting Geared Up!


Soon I'm going to be posting a list of some great 1/2 marathon tips by some super/duper diehard marathoners! One of the tips you are going to be reading about is centered around not making any changes come the actual day of the marathon. 

Translation: This means you should train in whatever you are going to wear come the day of the race. In other words you don't go out and buy new clothing or new shoes just a few days before you show up for the race. You train and wear just what you are going to wear that day. You put some serious milage on it so when you find yourself on that 13.1 mile trek you know it's going to fit, be comfortable, and work perfectly.

Here's where I'm going to get all giddy over something so simple as SOCKS! What you are looking at in the above picture is the greatest pair of socks known to man or woman in this case. I wear these socks faithfully on my feet every time I slip on a pair of running shoes. My feet love me for it. I now own about 12 pairs. I would be more than willing to give them a five star plus rating and so would my feet. And this is where I'm going to put a plug in for my work, because these socks are made by none other than Eddie Bauer baby! Show up on a Tuesday and I'll sell you a pair! No you can't have my discount!

These are "Cool Max" socks and the first time I tried them on my pink fleshy little feet it was just for the simple fact I needed a pair of running socks and I was working, so I thought after reading the label, I'd give them a try. Immediately I discovered two things,  1- Take a look at the sock just above the heel ---that little fat part you see keeps those stupid little rocks that flip up in your shoe, from flipping up in your shoe. Isn't that brilliant? Trust Eddie! 

There is nothing more annoying than when you are running down the road to have to suddenly stop and take your shoe off to get out some dumb annoying rock the size of a molecule, that decided to hitch a ride in your shoe. It doesn't matter how small the rock is, it will do damage if left to grate and rub on any part of your foot. And 2nd- They really do keep your feet cool. They wick moisture away from your foot and I've never had a blister yet with these hummers! After running in a pair I went back and bought another, then another, and now I have 12 pairs, not counting the 6 pair I have in Bear Lake. Ok, so I've gone "Cool Max" ballistic.   What can I say, it's a great sock and now I only have to do laundry every 12 days. 

Try some, you won't be sorry. 

Happy shopping!  :)

2 comments:

Nancy Mc said...

Good socks make a big difference. Though I do not have any of these. I may have to come get me a pair, or two.

jamck said...

I'm a nike sock fan - not for any particular reason except they last 5 years. So I am working on wearing them out.