Monday, March 22, 2010

What To Drink After Your 1/2 Marathon?



It seems silly that I'm thinking about what to drink after I cross the finish line of my 1/2 marathon. Maybe because I'm really worried and wondering if I can cross the finish line at all!  I've decided training for a 1/2 marathon is like waiting to see the doctor when you already know his prognosis, "You're going to die!" Ok, so I'm being dramatic --- but thinking about finishing 13.1 miles is sort of like thinking about death. Well, isn't it? Go ahead and try to tell me for the first entire week of training the words, "Am I going to die?" haven't been running through your head!  Hahahaha, physical torture and mental torture,  to think I signed up for it.

So now I have this problem, every time I  meet up with a runner, I stand and interrogate them for hours on end.  I keep praying one of them will tell me some universal secret that can save my life and I won't die doing this!

Last night I got a great tip and since me and Megan pinky swore, I must share it.

My friend who has been a runner since she was old enough to run, was tutored under a pro in college. Not only was her coach a highly trained professional runner with several medals to prove it, she also happened to be a nutritionist.

I was shocked when my friend told me that the very best thing you can drink immediately 'AFTER' you cross the finish line in any long distance race, is (drum roll please) chocolate milk, Woot Woot!

The reason chocolate milk is a good post-run drink is because it has carbs and protein in it, rather than the typical sports drink which just has carbs (sugar).  Never drink it before or during your run, but after it's the best thing to replenish your energy and it has protein to help repair muscle tissue.  It's great! It's a liquid so it also helps to quench your thirst slightly, and the bit of salt in it will also help to balance fluid levels in the body.  Make sure you drink more than one cup though, one cup is not enough, how's that for good news!

Wow, finally I have something to look forward to after I die!  Brrrrrr hahahahahha

Check out this "Cool Runnings" Article on "The new sports drink"!

Happy Running! Happy Training!

1 comment:

jamck said...

Bottles of Nesquik were handed out after the top of Utah Marathon the last couple of years. I do have to admit, it hit the spot better than anything else in 2008. 2009 was a different story - I had the flu or something, so it made me sick...