Friday, March 26, 2010

The Perfect Spring Cookie!


Just in time for budding and blooming . . .

Jam Blossoms!

There is nothing better in life than a simple pleasure and this little Jam Blossom is definitely all that and more.
This recipe is probably not going to appeal to the chocolate lovers, but hey, I guess you could omit the jam and just stick a big old chocolate kiss on top. If however you love shortbread and want a cookie that's colorful, then you are going to love this little goody.

Use a variety of jams and preserves; you'll want to crack out all your favorites for a beautiful show of spring colors on the plate. (Val, this is where I'm going to need more of your perfect plum jam! PS people that recipe is coming soon and you won't want to miss it!)

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
Lightly grease your baking sheet or line it with parchment.

Place the following in a bowl for mixing:
1/2 cup confectioners sugar
1/2 cup room temp. butter
1/4 tsp salt (fine if you have it)
1 tsp Vanilla
1/4 tsp. Almond extract

Beat this until it's fine and smooth

add 1 cup flour

This is a really stiff dough, but continue beating it until it's nice and smooth again.

Now take a 1" tsp cookie scoop and scoop out your nice round dough balls onto your prepared baking sheet. Leave about an inch and a half between each ball.

Now get your cute cookie press out (or the bottom of a glass bottle works well too.) Years ago I acquired some really cute cookie dough stampers. I have Winnie the Pooh and a few other cute stamps and I haven't used them in years, that is until I found this charming recipe. The grandkids are going to love making these.

Now press the round balls down gently with your stamp or your glass jar, leaving the cookie about 1/4 inch thick.

Bake the cookies 10 min. until edges are just starting to brown.

Dollop with a generous teaspoon of your favorite jam and preserves.

PS If you don't have a cute stamp, you can take the cookies hot out of the oven, take something with a smaller circumference, (a lid of some type) and make a little indentation in the center of the cookie for where you want to place your jam.

Happy Spring!
(Can I make Jam Blossoms when I'm in training? Why not?)

1 comment:

valerie said...

Don't worry...I'll sneak some jam over for the cookies. Just don't let your boys know! =)