Friday, March 5, 2010

One Awesome Machine!

Hurry into Costco if you want to save on getting one of these miracle machines.  I've owned a Vita Mix for over twenty years and it's by far the best machine I've ever spent my money on! I should sell this machine I love it so much. 
For those of you who want to make Em's delicious wheat bread and you don't have a grinder, they have the super model that grinds wheat in a flash. Honestly, I can't say enough about how much this machine is worth every penny you pay for it. Mine sits next to my toaster, it takes top priority in the machine location at my house, (no stuffing this little goody in the back of some unused cupboard), nope it sits right next to the toaster and it gets used just as much! Serious, there is rarely a day I don't pull it out and use it for something.
If you visit Costco right now, Josh, the expert of all out demonstrations, will show you all sorts of cool things you can make with this whirling wonder and you can save over fifty dollars on the machine. The other night Des and I were in the store in time to enjoy some of the free samples Josh whipped up. He made us a smoothie, some sherbert, and hot tortilla soup that I came home and made myself, it tasted so good, and talk about easy - wow!
Also Vitamix sells two products in the store along with their machines that you can get right now if you venture in there - they will only be there for another week or so. I bought both products and I'm sure glad I did. Check out the "Blend It -Southwest Spice." Seth came over for some of the soup and loved it. I used lots of this little spice and --- um, yum-dillium!
Also I bought the "Whole Nectar." This is an organic whole soy bean protein. Sounds awful doesn't it, but it's not. It's an awesome product!
For the last four mornings I've been making smoothies for breakfast. This is a whole meal replacement once you add the  Nectar. I'm a person who loves sugar and last year I read a book called, "Potatoes not Prozac." Because I'm sugar sensitive, I respond differently to sugar than other people do. To keep the explanation simple, it is my drug of choice! 
If you are sugar sensitive your blood sugar rises more quickly and goes higher than most people's do, causing your body to release more insulin than is needed for the amount of food you've eaten. As a result of this spike in insulin you are more vulnerable to low blood sugar level, also known as hypoglycemia.  Do you ever feel crazy? Three things contribute, 
1- The level of sugar in your blood, 
2- the level of the chemical serotonin in your brain, and 
3- the level of chemical beta-endorphin in your brain. 
An imbalance in the level of any one of these biochemicals can bring about striking changes in the way you feel or act. When all three are out of whack look out --- it greatly affects your well- being.
Ok, so here's the bottom line and the whole reason I launched into this. If sugar is your drug of choice and you are an addict, pay attention to the next line!!!
     EAT A COMPLETE (notice I said complete) PROTEIN AT EVERY MEAL. 
Protein provides the tryptophan your body needs to make serotonin, which keeps you feeling calm, productive, creative and yes, under control! Protein slows down your digestion, it's complex, it takes a long time for your body to break it down, it stabilizes your blood sugar. Isn't that great,  now you are calm and you no longer have the desire to scream and go nuts!  Brrrr - Hahahahah 
Every time I get out of control with sugar I have to go back to this advice, "Add protein to every meal." I really wasn't thinking about the protein/sugar thing when I decided to buy the "Whole Nectar." What I was thinking about is how your body needs protein to rebuild muscle and since I'm exercising harder I thought maybe I should add more protein to my diet.  The sugar temptation didn't even cross my mind. 
Ok, so here comes the testimonial. The first day I used the "Whole Nectar" (My COMPLETE PROTEIN) in my fruit smoothie, the craziest thing happened, after I was done drinking it, I had no desire for a piece of candy. After I'd finished my smoothie I didn't head for the candy drawer. Usually after every meal I crave a little sugar, but after adding a complete protein to my drink, I was satisfied and I didn't get hungry that day until nearly one o'clock. 
I have found some great help in the sugar craving department with my Chia seeds and now adding the protein to the start of my day. Adding protein to my morning has really been beneficial. Check it out. See for yourself -- "Whole Nectar" it's a great product! 

Check out Megan's Recipe for a Great Smoothie! Thanks Megan :D I'll be headin' to the store first thing in the morning!
Like she said, "Give it a whirl!"

Total Juice Power Smoothie
1/2 cup seedless grapes
3 strawberries
1 slice cantaloupe (about 1/2 cup) rind removed, seeds optional
1 orange (rind removed, halved)
1/4 small apple
1 thick slice pineapple (about 1 cup), rind removed
1/4 banana (peeled)
1 tablespoon honey (optional)
3 to 4 tablespoons Whole Nectar Ultimate Soy Protein Smoothie Mix
1-1/2 cups ice

Makes about 4 cups.

Directions: Place all ingredients in the Vita-Mix container in the order listed. Secure the lid. Select Variable #1, turn to ON and quickly increase speed to #10. Run about 20 seconds until smooth. Use the tamper if necessary to help circulate ingredients.


7 comments:

Bonnie said...

When I saw the title, I thought you were talking about yourself. :) About how much are they, do you know? Can you email me and let me know? It's slaterbon@comcast.net. Thanks!!

Mother Bird said...

Bonnie, the Vita-Mix 5200 PKG White or Black packs a whopping price tag of 394.99 from Costco. If you buy it anywhere else you will pay anywhere from $449.00 to $565.00. My machine is over 20 years old though and is still going strong if that eases the pain of the price any. Also Vita-Mix only comes to Costco once a year. And thanks, I wish I were an awesome machine!

megan said...

Give this receipe a whirl....

Total Juice Power Smoothie
1/2 cup seedless grapes
3 strawberries
1 slice cantaloupe (about 1/2 cup) rind removed, seeds optional
1 orange (rind removed, halved)
1/4 small apple
1 thick slice pineapple (about 1 cup), rind removed
1/4 banana (peeled)
1 tablespoon honey (optional)
3 to 4 tablespoons Whole Nectar Ultimate Soy Protein Smoothie Mix
1-1/2 cups ice

Makes about 4 cups.

Directions: Place all ingredients in the Vita-Mix container in the order listed. Secure the lid. Select Variable #1, turn to ON and quickly increase speed to #10. Run about 20 seconds until smooth. Use the tamper if necessary to help circulate ingredients.

mega said...

okay so I didn't read far enough...I should have know you'd be in the know!

Papa Bird said...

a ll I can say is Where's my smoothie? Lets be for sharing....I 'm willing to do my part you make it and I'll eat it.........Thanks I'll be expecting a sample of megen's ......

Mother Bird said...

Megan, you silly girl. sometimes people never read the comments, so I posted your yummy recipe at the bottom of my post, for all to see. It say's, "Check out Megan's recipe!"
So have you been holding out on me? How long have you been a fan of Whole Nectar?
I'm never in the know!

Megan(aka Nerd Bird) said...

Okay, not only am I natural blonde...so I have a few blonde moments, but when you become age worthy of being a chemically treated blonde....you tend to have more...and this is one of them. My access to a computer is limited, so when I do...I tend to skip the fine print. Thanks and sorry! Go Vita-Mix!