Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Awe, The Green Luck Of The Irish

HAPPY ST. PADDY'S DAY!

Years ago my grandma Blanch gave me an Oxalis Regnelli, a.k.a. a Lucky Shamrock Plant. For so many years I can't count, I have tried to keep this little green flowering leafy lucky plant alive.
I’ve always considered my thumb green--well, at least chartreuse--but for some reason the luck for these supposedly easy to grow plants runs low when winter strikes. Too much water? Not enough sun? I’d like to keep this sweet little thing thriving and after winter's hangover my poor little clover leaf love looks like she's tryin' to leave life behind!
Years ago I learned the Shamrock plant grows from an orange bulb like root system. Many times I've dug these little bulbs up and replanted them. Well, I just learned today since Shamrocks indeed grow from a bulb, they enjoy a period of dormancy every year. DUH, I should have known this! During the winter months I just need to trim back the plants brown leaves, give the plant very little water, and place it in a cool place so it can go dormant for a month or two. I'm so happy to learn my plant is not dying and I don't need to keep digging up the bulbs!
I learned in the spring, I should begin watering my shamrock plant and give it a dose of organic fertilizer to bring it back to life.
Wow, I'm so happy, this little plant has great meaning to me. I remember it sitting on the window sill of my grandmothers house, so I'm happy today to know how to better care for it, because I need all the Irish luck I can get.
Get yourself a Lucky Shamrock this season.  It's a beautiful plant. The leaves close up at night  and re-open to the sun in the morning. Along with it's beautiful ways of opening and closing, it grows the prettiest dainty white flower all summer long. They are such a dainty pretty plant, and lucky too maybe if your Irish.  I love this plant and I'm lucky it's survived this long and I'm so happy to finally find out how to care for it!
Have a happy lucky leprechaun day and don't forget to wear GREEN!

No comments: