Remember the old Dick and Jane books? Remember reading a bazillion times, "See Jane Run"? Well, basically all those years of reading, "See Jane run," never taught me anything about running. I hate running! I want to love it, but my body fights it and I've never been good at it. Glade say's it's my long legs, it takes an hour to get them into motion. I think however, it's probably the years of asthma I had when I was young that prevented me from learning. Also I'm well aware now that power walking for 21 years has completely ruined my form.
Since May I've been trying to figure out why this running thing is kicking my butt. It wasn't until some of my die hard running friends clued me into my bad form. I had a hamstring injury that was killing me for a couple of weeks and thanks to Nancy and her faithful running boys, I figured out my stride was way too long.
Then Laura my friend in Young Woman's, also discovered my form was all wrong. She is a runner and she does it so effortlessly. We had a little training session down the hall and wow, my form sucked!
Finding out that my form basically stinks, and struggling to correct it, has led me to hunt for everything I can wrap my head around to help me. I've also had trouble with my right foot, so it's been an all out intense struggle to improve.
The first week I consciously made an attempt to run differently, I felt like an elephant trying to tip toe down the road! I couldn't get over how another bad habit had taken over my life, (uugh), and just how difficult it was going to be to get rid of it. Especially when I'm continually going from power walking to running. I can't believe how I have to really concentrate on my form. I need to pick my sport, power walking or running, but mixing them up is killing me!
Tonight I stumbled onto this video and I thought it was one of the best teaching video's I've seen. I'm sure this is where "Jane" learned to run! As I watched it for the first time I didn't notice something I should have, but as I watched it the second time a realization struck me hard. As you watch the video, notice carefully, the back calves of the instructors as they run; talk about solid rock hard calves! Well folks that's not what my back calves look like, that's what my front calves look like. My front calves are big and hard as a rock. Power walking strengthens the front calves, running strengthens the back! A F F L A Y T U S! Today I'm researching weight training for your back calves! I know it's going to help me!
Dick and Jane should have told me this years ago! Bad "Dick", bad "Jane" (I miss those books!)
Happy Running :/ (Is there such a thing?)
No comments:
Post a Comment