Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The End Of An Era - Seth


Gavin said, "Scan more pictures mom! Gavin is really enjoying this.  I told him, "I'm only half way done with the project Gav." "I know mom," he kept saying, "Just scan em' all!" I tried to explain how many pictures I have, how long it takes to scan, organize, edit, restore and post them. He didn't care. I think I went on to tell him something about how I should have had fewer kids or taken fewer pictures.

Tonight I realized I haven't even touched the slides. It's a job I need to tackle. One I feel drawn to now. 

Something about the time in my study though the last few nights has been rewarding in a way unexplainable. The whole of this experience is shaping me into a better person. There are things you see in old pictures, things no one else can see, no one else can feel. There is something very personal about my time here alone with these pictures of my family and my heart has traveled to places its never been before.

I have realized some things in doing this project. I noticed often I took pictures in spurts. There are so many pictures posted today for Seth. I think it's because he is child number three and these were the years my family came into being. I could have scanned pictures all day and not run out of cute pictures of him and the girls. It must have felt good to have a family. A little family, my little family and suddenly I felt the urge to take more pictures. 

So on with the story!

We were headed to dental school. I was once again with child. I still remember the day we packed up the JarTran truck. So foreign to me. I had never been off N.P.C. Rd. What an experience. I remember riding in the truck watching one city after the other pass by. My face was glued to the window, tear streaked and painfully sad, but mesmerized by the sights that went by.

I'll never forget the night we drove over the huge bridge and the City of Cleveland unfolded before us. It took my breath away. It made such an impact on me, I remember it like it was yesterday. I had never seen anything so gigantic and all lit up. The sky scrapers, they pierced the dark with their illuminating lights.  As we drove through the city, I cried harder and harder and I didn't stop for two weeks. I was sure Man With A Drill had moved me straight to Hell!

Seth was born, just three months after we arrived. When I was nine months pregnant, packing this huge watermelon inside my gut and due any minute, I fell flat on my stomach. We were at the subway picking up my mom and my shoe caught on something and down I went. We've always joked that the serious indentation in the bridge of Seth's nose happened when I fell. To this day he can hold a pencil with his eye brows pinched down on that indentation.

Man With A Drill was elated when the doctor said, "It's a Boy!" Seth peed all over the guy in the white coat. I can't even remember his name. There was no mistaking Seth for a girl. Hahahahah

We were so excited. Our first boy! Oh he was so cute. From day one, cute as they come!  



He weighed in at 9 pounds 13 and a half pounds. Our little line backer!


It was those trips to Drug World and all those Cherry doughnuts.


Every night I'm scanning these pictures and I'm wondering if way back then I ever looked in the mirror at my hair! Course Man With A Drill looks pretty funny sporting that mustache.




The old binki gets a rest while Seppy eats his cereal. This kid loved to eat!


He loved to get up at five A.M as well!


Living in Cleveland brought us close together as a family. I love the picture below. I love the expressions on their faces. Our rental house had a big empty basement and we use to go down there to play. That was our nightly entertainment.


We lived in Cleveland.. for the first year I didn't dare go outside. I wasn't use to living in a giant city! I thought someone would steel my children, or shoot me.


Oh I laugh at how the girls mothered Seth. Kaedell is going to line him up for this picture no matter how hard he wants to get away! Is there anything more precious? NO, I don't think so. Take me back!!! I wanna go back!


My little sheriff! I want to pick him up and squeeze him!

In Cleveland we started our tree cutting tradition. The kids loved it!


These were the best of times. What would we ever do in this life without pictures?


We went on a trip back East with Glade's family since we lived so close to seeing some great things. We knew once we moved back home we'd probably never see it again. Above we are at the Kennedy Space Center.

I've been Seth's barber since he was old enough to get a hair cut.


One handsome little boy! Life is good!

We were lucky and we got to come home from school for the first two summers.


All those fun times the kids played on my mom's walk when she flooded the lawn. We even brought Apricot Kitty home with us. She's the cat behind the kids. My mom gave her to the kids the day we pulled out to leave for Cleveland. We were all crying so hard and she thought sticking a kitten in our truck would ease the pain. We were desperate, we took it. She was a smart Mama! She got rid of a cat that day in all our distress and came out smelling like a rose.


Oh you were a little cutie pie, Sethy Boy!


Sweet dreams! He loved that bear!


The girls got new and creative in how to hold on to Seth so he'd hold still for the picture. Kaedell always took charge. Look at her grip on him. I can't stop laughing.


Being poor and in dental school offered great rewards.

Summers in Utah couldn't have felt any sweeter.


Now look at Gavin's head. Are you trying to figure out what that white thing is? I looked at the above picture and wondered if a bird had pooped right down the middle of Gavin's head. I pulled it in for a closer look on photoshop and realized it's a butterfly bandage. I learned one thing fast with boys. They are always doing stupid stuff and getting hurt, especially Gavin ---hahahaha!


We soon found living in Cleveland we had to get out to the country. Our friend Jack had a big farm with a lake and I soon found myself at home there. We drove out there every weekend we could.


After scanning all these pictures in, I'm down right impressed with my cake decorating ability. I didn't realize I was so crafty. Motherhood calls forth amazing things within!

The next picture is my favorite. I have it blown up and it sits on my desk. Oh how these two loved to play cowboys and indians. Wyatt Earp and Doc Holiday - right here folks!


Always shooting up the town.

When I was a kid, it's important that you know I always went deer hunting. My dad had four girls and no boys to take hunting. I loved deer hunting. After I was married Chad gave me a stark revelation one day. He sat me down and told me this trip was for boys only. I was so distraught.  "I'll show him," I thought. So I had five boys in a row! Him and Man With A Drill never saw it coming!

I soon loved deer hunting for different reasons! Six boys gone for four days. I use to beg Man With A Drill to go for two weeks! And I sent all those wild little boys with him as soon as they were born. It wasn't long, and he started asking me if I wanted to come. "Hell no, I'd say." "And spoil tradition?" "You should get Chad to help you, honey." I would quip! He only had one boy! Hahahah

Never mess with the mother!


I can't ever remember a day my boys weren't best friends. Always and forever they have been close.


The richest blessings in this life reside right in front of us, if we will only look!


Seth holding Gavin. (I had serious red eye in this picture. Needs more work!)

This next picture cracks me up. The Manning's and the Crowther's on stage. I played my guitar and the kids sang, "Grandma's Feather Bed." Priceless!


Seth's Baptism day. Pretty exciting! I love their smiles. So indicative of how little it takes to please a child.




Man With A Drill shaved the stache off. Finally!

Seth in his Christmas Bow Tie!


He looks like John Boy Walton!

Seth has thick hair. Always made for a good spike!


I realized five kids were born after Seth. I don't know why that amazes me, but it does. When Des finally came along, Seth was her number one fan! He wouldn't let her out of his sight.


At night I'd go to check on her in her crib and find her missing. She'd fuss and Seth would immediately go get her and put her in his bed. I'd find them both sound asleep.

Here we are on one of our many camping trips to Bridger. If you want to keep your family close, just go camping lots. It's magic for bonding souls together!


Seth is and was a good ball player. He's an all around good athlete. His team took first or second place every year in county.


To this day, he loves to throw the ball! He still plays, and he married a ball player as well. She can throw the ball as good as he can.


Bear Lake has been with us forever.  So many fun trips to the lake. Goose on the left with Seth.

Seth loved soccer too. Played on a comp team. He was good at any sport.


Probably the funnest Christmas we ever had was the one when Seth got Goliath.


I took them into Hazens for a picture and Goliath climbed right up in Seth's lap and sat perfectly still for the camera. That dog loved Seth with every fiber of his animal soul. It broke my heart the day we had to put him down. He had Cancer in his stomach. He lived nearly 15 years after we got him. The best dog I've ever known.


The sticker man!


Seth gets his first gun.


And this is, I stand corrected, a two hundred dollar fishing license for Alaska. It's a good thing it's not a ticket.


I found this picture and the laughter set in all over again. Chelsey, is a brave girl, letting Seth do her hair. Where are we in this picture?


Seth is the first one on the left. Don't ask me what he and his crazy friends are doing.


Kin and Seppy ---Always the best of friends, and cousins too! Love you KIN!


I'm a drama major. I was always doing plays. Soon Wahlquist had me take over their drama department while a teacher was recovering from Cancer. I wrote a play for the kids. Anyone who tried out made the cut. We had over one hundred kids in it. "To Be Or Nor To Be Cool!"


The orange coat is way cool! I'm so sad I ever threw that thing away. It was the first Christmas gift I ever gave Glade. That coat came in handy for everything!

Seth loved playing the violin, can you tell?


Poor kid endured it pretty well, tux and all. Love the white tennis shoes!


Trips to St. George to see Lorin and Eleanor became a ritual in the winter. Oh I love MY KIDS!


Seminary graduation. I'm so glad I have this picture. My mom will be 90 next month.


Seth and all his friends in the above pic. A great group of guys. I look at these boys and I know where every single one of them is today. And I am amazed at what has transpired in their lives.


Graduation is finally here.


Steady Like a River
Gentle natured and even tempered.


Wise beyond his years


Calm natured and warm hearted and giving.


Fun loving and faith promoting.
Always my rock.


The first boy and number three in the line up! We love you Seth! You came into our family and brought a multitude of blessings with you. You were a great kid to raise. You are a great example to your brothers. And today I'm so proud of you and the man you've grown into. I often call upon you for wisdom and a listening ear. Thanks for always knowing your mother's heart and tending to it. I'd go back and raise you all over again if I could. It was the best time of life.
Today I pay tribute to you and the good soul that you are. 

You and that wise and steady heart of yours. LOVE YOU!



9 comments:

Corinne said...

Oh man! I totally remember all of us singing in the talent show...and I believe we won!! We were awesome!! Wonder if anyone got that on video?

Hey Gav- speaking of home videos, remember the one when we are at the beartooths and I think it's either you scaring Gage about bears or Gage scaring Kelson? Now those are priceless!! :)

Papa Bird said...

Faye Here I sit balling my eyes out at work , that series of pics really brought back great memories....
we have alot of great memories to draw from...Without a doubt the best time ever. It really makes me aware of how much I love all of you guys! What a great mom we have to take the time to go down memory lane....Thanks again faye you are the best!!!!!!!!

SETH said...

Ha ha ha... awesome Mom! Wow time goes by so fast huh! It is hard to believe how grown up we all are now. I definitely miss those times. Thanks for putting in the time to do this - can't wait to see the rest of the crew! Love you!

SETH said...

Oh man I miss the beartooths - that was always one of my favorite trips. It was Gage teasing Kelson Corinne... ha ha ha so funny! Oh and correct me if I'm wrong Muth but I think we sang grandmas featherbed in that talent show. Who remembers? Too bad Americas got talent wasn't on tv back then - we would all me millionaires!! Ha ha. I hated taking that violin to school too. Crazy Mr. Brown did not find my white reeboks amusing during concerts either. Good times!

Caroline said...

I agree my man ha ha Mom you rock Dad I love the old stache ha ha ha oh man I love this!

Corinne said...

I think you are right Seth. I think we did sing Grandmas feather bed...and the one about not telling any lies!
That's right...Gage teasing Kelson- that was so funny!!

Gavin said...

What song about not telling lies ha ha?

Gavin said...

Oh and obviously I posted as Caroline above oops ha ha

Gavin said...

Ha ha Kinn Poo totally remember that video ha ha and all our awesome huts