Monday, May 16, 2011

The End Of An Era - Emilyn


I was looking at all their graduation pictures sitting on my bedroom dresser drawers. I was standing their felling old. That's what put this silly idea into my head. It's two in the morning and after hours of scanning images and editing them I realize this is crazy. Doesn't that describe me perfectly. Despite my drooping eyes, I'm really enjoying the walk down memory lane!

I've also realized it's a good thing I took up photography. Some of my pictures taken so long ago call for serious improvement.

She was born April 29th, 1978. We named her Emilyn. It sounded more grown up than Emily, the name we had originally chosen. She would be the first of many to come.


And they came in a hurry! Married in 77, Emy in 78, Kadie in 79, and Seth in 80! Wow, I'm tired just reading that!


When she was born, I really thought about putting her in a glass jar and sitting her on a shelf where I could just stare at her. In a jar nobody could touch her.  I thought she was perfect in every way. And I thought for sure I should keep every other human at a distance. She was precious!


I immediately learned how to put a perfect curl on top of her head. Have you ever seen a curl on a babies head more perfect than this one? I was good!


Oh she was cute! I couldn't take my eyes off her. I immediately quit school with only three quarters left. I couldn't stand the thoughts of leaving her with anyone. I wanted to be a mother more than a school teacher anyway! I quit in a heart beat. It was spring quarter. I drove up to the college and left my paper on my teachers desk, walked out and never looked back.


Pig tails came as soon as she had enough hair. I wish I'd gone out and bought my Nikon way back then!


I tried to keep her from growing.


I entered her in the Plain City 4th of July Baby contest. She won!


She also won the most talented along with being chosen as the queen. She sang "The Kraft Macaroni and Cheese" song. She sang every word perfectly. The judges melted!


Cute as a button you were, then and now! Desi said Alison looks just like her!


Every picture I hunted through there was a child in her hands. Here she is feeding Seth. She's been a good mother since she was two!


In Cleveland here she is off to her first day of Kindergarten. Our Lady Of Peace, the local Catholic church by our house had a free Kindergarten program. 


It didn't take me long to sense her golden heart. Her attributes came pouring out of her. They were soft and always sweet.

I was glad when we got home from school. I didn't want her going to first grade in Cleveland. Hello, we lived in the ghetto and couldn't afford a private school and first grade came with a fee at Our Lady Of Peace.

Here she is holding Gavin.


Em was a red crayon every year at Halloween. I laughed when I ran across this picture. She took the disappointment of never getting to be anything else like a trooper. She was happy when she grew out of that red costume.


Always my best helper. No wonder I had 8 kids. I had two extra helping hands! 


Her baptism day. 


I don't know when she grew into a cute teenager. When I wasn't looking. I wish I had time to go through all my slides. There, you would see some great pictures. 




Her cheerleading days. 


Look at all those curls.









Her years of piano started to pay off when the choir directory at Fremont heard her play. She accompanied the choir quite often. Now at her children's schools and in every ward she's been in, she sits at the piano along with her other callings. Her music is beautiful!!! I never tire of hearing her play!


Here she is ready for Senior Cotillion.


She had wonderful friends, Courtney and Jen. Together they became the three musketeers.


Nothing tops a best friend though when it's your sister!


Kind


Sweet


Generous Of Heart


Honest


True



Those were good years Emy. I wish I could scan in every picture. And now you are a wonderful mother with children of your own. I was thinking about how I didn't know a thing about parenting when you came along. I commend you for how brilliantly you endured the learning years of me growing into a better mother. Those years went by way to fast and I wish I could go back now and relive them seasoned as I am. 

You were a beautiful graduate! Number 1 in the line up Em! Dad and I love you and the beautiful young women you've grown into! Always a blessing in our lives the day you landed. I think I know why God sent you first. You've always been a good example and you made a good leader for our Crowther Wolf Pack. Thanks for making life beautiful Em!

1 comment:

Gavin said...

ha ha oh man loved these pics mom Em so awesome.