Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Chicken Tortellini Soup

Are you sick of soup yet, cause I'm not. I think in the winter I cook soup four nights out of five. Ok, ok, so I don't cook five nights in a row sometimes. Well, I do love soup.  I can't help it, it's so good, it's so quick to fix, it's soothing, and with this glummy weather, what's not to like? Soup to me is like a dose of the sun in my grandma Berret's big stainless steel pot! I'm a person who desperately needs the sun and when I can't get any outside, at least I can symbolically dish a bowl up on a freezing cold day! Here's the latest goody I tried. All I can say is . . . YUM!
Ingredients
1 lb. boneless chicken breast tenders
2 32 oz. cartons of chicken broth
2 cups water
1 large onion, peeled and left whole
1 clove of garlic, peeled and left whole
1 pkg. fresh spinach
3 or 4 carrots, shredded or sliced thin, your choice
1 pkg. (I used 19 oz.) frozen cheese tortellini

Instruction
Heat a small amount of olive oil in a frying pan. Season the chicken with your favorite seasoning. Check out Emeril's Original Essence. Just bought me some of this good stuff. It's an all purpose seasoning to use for just about anything. You're gonna luv, luv, luv it! Season the chicken liberally and brown it well on both sides. Remove to cool.
In a large soup pot, pour in the two cartons of chicken broth and water, add the whole onion and garlic clove, and the sliced or shredded carrots, cover, cook slowly and allow the onion and garlic to become soft. In the meantime, shred the cooled chicken into bite sized pieces.
When the onion and garlic are nice and soft, remove and discard them. The idea here is to flavor the broth but not have any pieces of onion or garlic floating around in your finished soup. (Seth is going to love this! He hates onions in anything. Finally a recipe made just for you Seth!) Add the shredded chicken, spinach and tortellini. Give it a gentle stir, cover and let it simmer through until the spinach is all wilted and the tortellini are nice and soft, just a few minutes. Some of the Emeril's Essence will come off the chicken and will flavor the soup so that you won't have to add any extra salt, pepper or any other seasonings. Serve in big bowls and offer a sprinkling of Parmesan if you like. How easy is that?

3 comments:

valerie said...

I love your soup! =)

Papa Bird said...

Well every time I see your soups I get hungry,,,,,,I'm not sure I got to try that one out.....we better try that one again.....

Melanie said...

We made your soup last night and LOVED IT!!!!!! Keep them coming!!