I don't know what psychotic notion led me to even entertain a bazaar idea of running a 1/2 marathon. It's a known fact, I hate running. I'm the girl who had asthma! And besides, despite the asthma, I grew up on a horse. Why run when you can sit your dimpled white cheeks in a saddle and the horse can run for you! Did I tell you, I didn't play softball as a kid because there wasn't anyway of getting around the bases without running! I've decided I must have some deep seeded fear I'm going to turn into a pumpkin, or maybe it's just watching my mom sit in a chair everyday. What ever the cogitation, some strange force now posses my inner vessels and I have to run.
Misery loves company so I'm begging any suckers to sign up with me. Gavin made some comment to me over the phone about signing up, but then he said he didn't want to make me feel bad when he blew right past me. I told him I'd pay his entrance fee just to stand on the side of the road at mile marker 10 and watch him pass out from all those years of gut laden Mt. Dew abuse! Laugh my A double S off! Oh the joy of seeing your children suffer!
Caroline said she'd do it! I didn't believe her at first. My first thought was, "You got to be kidding me." Serious, my thoughts kept going over the same idea, "Caroline, why would you want to run a 1/2 marathon, are you nuts?" I slapped myself out of this pattern of thinking, realizing she might be the only fool willing to join. After that I gave her nothing but praise and adoration, keeping my practical thoughts about 1/2 marathons a secret! I hung up the phone so excited that someone loves me enough to die with me hahahahaha!
Seth said he'd sign up if Gavin did. Then he gave some smug response about how Gavin hates running and could never go without his Mt. Dew and that made it safe for him to make his slight feeble offer.
Ok people, you're all invited! Anyone want to join in this craziness? Come on... it's going to be fun! I"ll print you off a training schedule and you can train and leave your mother in the dust on the day of the race! That should give you some pleasure.
Now if my foot will only hold out. I made the mistake of wearing the wrong shoes when I added running to my power walking routine. I give serious advice here. Never, never, never ...run in the wrong shoes! Your shoes should be a complete size and a half bigger than you normally wear. Last May I sustained a slight stress fracture in my right foot. Between biking, running and power walking, I nursed it along most of the summer but I know it's there and every night I just pray it will cooperate as my routine intensifies.
I've been a power walker for 21 years and I know I can power walk it (no problem,) so how come it's scaring the b'eejeebees out of me! Hal Higdon, who has run over 100 marathons, writes, "In a marathon, you don't beat others. (Like I even could, duh) Instead, you achieve a personal victory." It is a very personal event, each participant having their own goal to achieve, often just to finish. Yup, I just want to finish... oh, and be able to walk to my car where I can drive to the nearest morgue LOL. Pray for me will you?

8 comments:
I would love to join ya Faye, but that is the day I get home from my QUILT RETREAT ! I'll be thinking about ya tho, and cheering ya all the way!
Nelda
You can do this! I'm still in the contemplating stage...
Send me some more info. on it....it sounds like fun. I wanted to do the deseret full, but Rex and I will be Ma's & Pa's for our stake Trek..and it ends like the day before the marathon. So we shall see!
Aunt Faye if I currently wasn't prego and having a baby at the end of June, I would totally join you. I use to hate running also, but have become quite addicted to it. Good luck with your foot. I too hurt my knee wearing the wrong kind of running shoes...learned my lesson. You can do it, I know you can!!
I think you're gonna be great...I would do it with you if I lived closer...
Mom, last night Jenelle told me she was thinking about joining you. I don't know, I'm going to read "Born to Run" maybe that will motivate me. I don't know though. Sounds crazy.
But I know you can do it! I didn't mean to leave my comment on the negative side. You can do it! I think it's great that YOU can do it! :-)
I promise to wait for you at the Cabin guys ha ha
Post a Comment