This picture was her latest art project at school. The project was a lesson in pastels. Des had never worked with pastels before, this picture you see above is her first attempt working with this new medium.
The picture was drawn from a 4x6 photo of Goliath that has long hung on my fridge. That night when I walked into her bedroom and she held up her work, I stood in complete shock. At first I thought she was going to tell me it was a picture she was going to copy or try to reproduce. When she told me this was 'HER' work, I just stood there with my chin on the floor. When she told me it was her first attempt at pastels, my mouth just hung open even wider. The last bit of information that overwhelmed me was the fact that this was not a project she had been working on all week, no, she'd been in her room for a couple of hours and this is what she had been doing.
Last week Des took her project to school to show her art teacher, she wanted to add a few touches to the outer area around Goliath before she submitted it for a grade. Her art teacher loved it as well as the intern from Weber State University, that is also presently teaching in Deserey's art class. That day as both teachers admired Des's work an art professor from Weber State just happened to walk in and join the class, he had come from Weber State to check up on the intern. Des said he came over to see her work. Long story - short. . . he was so impressed with Des and her project, he stood in praise for sometime. The last thing he said to her was, "Girl, you've got a real gift with pastels. You should pursue this." Des was pretty happy with some serious acclamations from a university professor.
After school that day we talked about her exciting day in class and her love for art. I had to laugh when she said, "I just don't want to go to college and draw naked bodies!" Well Des, art does have a wild side when you are studying it at higher levels, but study it indeed because God has blessed you with real talent.
I'm so proud of her! Looking at this picture just makes water form and seep right out of those tiny ducts that reside in the corner of each eye. I only wish I could show it to Goliath, I think he'd be down right taken with himself! It is a beautiful work of art Des! I can't wait to frame it and hang it on my wall! I was so touched by your abilities and your special gift. It's inspiring and gorgeous! Great job!

9 comments:
Beautiful Des! What talent!!!
I am always amazed at someone that can draw...I can't even draw a stick figure. That is an amazing picture Des! Great job!!!
Des!! That is AWESOME!! Good job! :)
AWESOME DES!!!
Des the only way it could be better is if it was of me....ha ha just kidding nice work bud you rock!
Des, I love it! Way to go. You are awesome. I agree--drawing naked bodies could be very awkward. Better stick to animals:) Great job!
Haha Thanks Everyone!! :)
Hi Des! That is a great picture! Now is the time to help that talent to blossom, before some young man sweeps you off your feet to the temple. Time seems to speed up after you are married-trust me!
Anywho, great job!!!
Des, guess what I got in the mail today? It was a special letter from your art teacher. She wanted to tell Dad and I how impressed she was with your picture of Goliath. She said you have a very real talent and a bright future in the art world. She also said she loves you in her class, what a great student you are and how she can't wait to have you next year in AP art. Well now, I'm just proud as punch! But then you already knew that didn't you! You're a good kid Des! I love you!
Post a Comment