Friday, June 19, 2009

The Oquirrh Mountain Utah Temple




The Angel Moroni on top of the Oquirrh Temple was struck by lightning.



I was so happy I got to travel to the Oquirrh Temple for a tour. On the way down, someone told me the Angel Moroni on top of it had been struck by lightning. I was so happy I got to see this in person and capture it with my camera!

The Deseret news said, "Mother Nature added another sight to see at the Oquirrh Mountain Temple, Saturday June 13th, 2009. The temple is not yet dedicated!

As weekend rain and lighting storms moved across the Salt Lake Valley, one strike took a path through the Angel Moroni's golden horn en route to the ground.

Steve Allison, a resident of South Jordan who lives near the temple said lightning was dropping in the area Saturday and Sunday it was obvious lightning had struck the temple's unofficial lightning rod."

(The Angel) is the only thing up there, Daybreak is pretty flat," Allison said. "Saturday afternoon we were getting big strikes, one shook the house and knocked the power out."Allison said he first heard the temple had been struck when a friend walked into choir practice with a pair of binoculars hanging from his neck.

On Sunday streams of passersby stopped to view the damage and take pictures."A work crew will re-gild the statue as soon as possible" he said in a prepared statement."

Click here to read more about it.

Now for my personal opinions - don't you just love those?

I felt so bad when I took this picture! It looks like even Angel Moroni is not exempt from the trials of life! I'm laughing because I can totally relate to exactly how he looks and surely must feel if he could! Sometimes life just bolts right through ya, doesn't it? One minute your standing there fine and the next minute your face is molten and black! Hahahha I'm laughing because it's so true!

I have had many experiences in my life that have left me blackened and cinged! I mean look at poor Moroni's face! Who can't relate to that? Some more than others. I love to look for symbolism in life and there is great symbolism in this! No matter what life throws at me, when the thunder is rumbling and the bolts are flyin, I'm not going to get out of this life without taking some hits! God promised us hits (trials)! But He also promised us great blessings for holding on with faith. D&C 122:7 He tells us, "Know my son (or daughter), that all these things shall give thee experience, and shall be for thy good." Then in verse 17, he encourages us how to behave in our trials, "Let us cheerfully do all things!" Wow, that is a tough one - we are to be grateful for our trials and travel through them cheerfully!" I got a little work there to do! LOL

Today I'm so grateful for my trials, because I've learned one thing; if I hold on with faith and do my best, My Father in Heaven and my Savior are always right there to re-gild me!!! Boy, do I have a testimony of that - the re-gilding process! I can't believe my fingers are typing this statement, but trials can be good if we choose. They're Gods way of shaping us up and helping us grow!

I will forever love this picture - so symbolic!!!

No comments: