Friday, February 20, 2009

Soup Anyone?

Black Bean Soup - does this look like I'm desperate for a post?


Soup Anyone? I'm a total soup lover and since I'm now looking for ways to eat less as well as healthier I stumbled onto this recipe from "Half Assed Kitchen" (Ya, I know what you're thinkin) When I saw this little recipe, I thought to myself "Perfect, who is going to want to eat this #@*^?" It totally looks like a recipe that will help you loose weight doesn't it? "Straight out of the depression soup," is what Seth calls any and all soups made with beans, but don't sell it short there's ham in it. Well, I'm sure he is going to stamp this magnificent entree five thumbs down, right along with my lentil soup. (So stay home and don't come over for dinner - see if I care!) But it looked good (really) and I thought I'd try it. PS I'm not seeing a lot of recipe's girls???
Here are the how to's for the soup -
1 medium onion, minced
1 celery stalk, chopped (optional)
Olive or canola oil
2 cans black beans (with liquid)
32 ounces chicken or veggie broth
1 14-ounce can diced or crushed tomatoes
1-2 cups ham, cubed (optional)
1 Tablespoon cumin
1 Tablespoon thyme
1-2 Tablespoons balsalmic vinegar (adds a lot of flavor, don't skip)
Salt and pepper to taste
Sour cream

Sauté onion (and celery if you use it) in olive oil over medium heat. Add black beans, broth, tomatoes, ham, cumin, thyme, balsalmic vinegar, salt and pepper.

Let simmer, covered but vented, for at least an hour. Preferably two.

Spoon into bowls and top with sour cream.

1 comment:

*Cathleen* said...

We spent the wknd in Colorado Springs and went to this little restaurant that had the most amazing pumpkin tomato soup. It was by far the best soup I have ever had. Your post just reminded me of it and I thought you might be able to find a recipe for it and try it. Good Luck on the diet!Though I must say you don't look like you need to diet.