Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Happy Anniversary Squint

Feb 11th, 1977 - 32 years ago, I awoke at the butt crack of dawn, it was my wedding day and I was pumped about two things, first off ..... marrying the greatest guy ever, and second (the greatest double bonus of the day)...... moving out of the 'Blanch Estate'! Hahaha!


That morning I tried to comb my newly permed hair that was so frizzy and kinky I'm shocked I could even get a comb through it; seriously it was borderline Afro American hair and when I slept at night I didn't even need a pillow! Back then tight perms were in or possibly I was just a nerd and thought they were in. Anyway, when I look at my wedding photos the same reoccurring thought always goes booming through my head, and it goes something like this, "Good hell, my hair was ugly!" I know I shouldn't feel to bad, I wasn't the only girl with permed hair and rolled bangs that day; Some of the other girls in my line looked just as dorky. But then I look at Glade's hair and those glasses and I think maybe I wasn't the only person who needed a new stylist. I can't get over how we look like two dumb little kids. Awe yes, but no matter how we looked, we were soul mates of the utmost kind and madly in love! I knew I loved Glade from the first hour I spent with him in Victor, Idaho on a mountain skiing. We were inseparable from the minute we sank ourselves into the powder that day. Even though we dated for a solid year after that, I knew I was going to marry him at the end of the first run! So the morning I found myself seated next to my 'hunk-a-hunk-a' man in "Vinny Ventura" headed to the Ogden Temple I was the happiest girl in the whole wide world!



That day I took out my endowments, knelt across the alter and said the most important words of my life, strolled out of the temple for pictures, drove over to the mansion house for our wedding luncheon, sped to our apartment on 23rd and Monroe (I'm surprised I'm still alive - I can't believe we lived there) and just as we were about to check out our very old hand-me-down bed springs - serious - they were just that "springs," Chad came by and ruined all the fun. I've been cussing him ever since! With agonizing disappointment in our eyes, we then drove to our church in P. C., (that is no longer there) shook a few hands at the reception, changed clothes, and fled to Park City for our first night of heavy breathing (be still my beating heart) and to make the best of an absolutely perfect day - we left Chad home! You have to know Chad and Glade - this separation was very difficult for them and I'm certain Glade would have let Chad come along if Chad had only begged a little harder! Well, it was one big event filled day, a beautiful day, still as fresh as ever in my mind and I'm left to ponder - where in world did 32 years go?


Giddy UP!

4 comments:

breyn said...

What a beautiful couple!! Congrats on 32 wonderful years. I love you both!!!
Love, Breyn

Gavin said...

So awesome I love the car too, no wonder you guys reproduced so fast...that car is a love wagon! grrrrrrrr

Des said...

hahaha nice tux dad that thing is sweet :) happy anniversary

Anonymous said...

Could have done without the heavy breathing image mom :) But I love the old time photos!