Man With A Drill had a very wise father! Years ago, when we were in the thick of raising our children, every time Lorin came out to our house to pay us a visit, he would leave echoing the same remarks. He was as faithful as clock works with his impounding words. First he'd spend some time with us depending on the occasion, then as it came time to make his way out the door, he'd pull a butterscotch candy out of his pocket and give each one of the kids their gold colored treat. He was a man of habit. Then came the usual hugs and departing kisses. After that, always, without fail, just as he would turn to make his way out the door he would look up at Man With A Drill and I and then came the repetitive phrase I grew to know so well, every time he left, the words exactly the same, "Enjoy these years," he'd say. "They are the very best ones!"
At the time I was usually worn out from a day filled with small kids running me ragged. I remember sometimes thinking he was nuts. During those times I would look at him in bewilderment when he made that statement. And often times after he left, Man With A Drill and I would laugh and and poke fun.
Tonight I was helping Seth find some pictures for his wedding video. Kaedell has the above little picture printed. It sits on her shelf in her kitchen. Every time I see it I tell her I want one. It's the best picture ever. It was taken from a slide. That's how you took pictures in my era.
Tonight it's late and I am all alone. I'm in my usual chair. I'm facing my usual computer screen. When I opened up Seth's wedding video file I stumbled upon this picture. Seth had found the slide and had it printed. He then scanned it onto my computer. I was shocked when I opened up the file and saw it. I pulled the picture up, made it big as life on my monitor. Just looking at it immediately brought water to the surface of my tired and sagging eyes. Seeing it there in front of me, I sat back and thought of the very day the picture came to be. All of the memories surrounding the day came rolling back to my mind and my heart.
We were in Cleveland. Our friends Jack and Liz had invited us out to Jack's father's farm. It was a beautiful farm, with vintage old barns and a white farm house to rival any farm house you could ever dream of. The property was so large it even had a lake on it. We spent the day having no end of fun. We played games, fished, and paddled around in the old boat they kept on the waters edge tied to the dock. Then just as the sun was fading we spent the late afternoon catching huge frogs for dinner. We didn't tell the kids we were planning on cooking them. They had so much fun catching those frogs. And I was happy Liz had cooked a ham to go along with the frog legs Jack insisted we have. I was surprised, after Jack finally got me to taste one, I had to agree with him, frog legs taste just like chicken. After dinner we sat out on the old porch and talked and had watermelon. That's when I got my camera out and snapped the picture. My three cute little kids, Seth, Emilyn and Kaedell, all of them enjoying their watermelon. If you look close you can see it dripping down Emy's chin.
That was nearly 29 years ago. I just want you to know, I'm not laughing now at Lorin's repetitive words. Tonight as I solemnly look at this little picture before me, I have great clarity. Now, better than ever before, I know what Lorin was trying to tell me. Oh how I wish I would have listened closer back then! He was right, those really were the very best years. And tonight, if I could have one wish, I'd like to go back and do it all again. I'd take Lorin's advice straight to the bank, and I would savor those precious years with a lot more thought and vitality! I'd pay more attention to that which is of worth and I'd stress less about all of the hub-bub that means absolutely nothing. When you are a young parent you tend to frett over a lot of junk that just doesn't matter.
So there ya go. If you are reading this and you have small children at your feet, then take heed. Turn around and take a long look at them every chance you get. Get down on their level and really take a look. Spend time with them. Instead of worrying about the job, the car, the house, the yard, and the demanding routines of life, take some time and be a kid while your kids are kids. Go for many a walk, stop and smell the flowers. Be creative in the time you spend with your children. Watch how you talk to them, and laugh a lot at yourself. Most importantly spend every chance you get enjoying them. Pay greater attention to how you work and play with them, how you interact with them. And like Lorin said, "Remember . . .Enjoy these years, because every word he echoed is true, "They really are absolutely and without a doubt, the very best ones ever!" PS, Don't forget to take their picture, so 29 years later you can sit in a chair, look at it and kick yourself for not paying closer attention to everything I just said!
One picture. Did I tell you it's worth a million dollars to me today!

3 comments:
Aw thanks Faye, I needed that reminder today. :) Good thing I have a few pictures!
Well, you just made me cry! Thanks for the reminder mother bird!
I hope you don't mind that I am blog stalking you :). Thanks for posting this about Grandpa Crowther. He passed away before I was able to meet him and it is neat to be able to hear things like this about him. I know I get frustrated at times with all that goes on with life and it is nice to have a reminder to slow down and appreciate these special moments!
Post a Comment