Thursday, November 25, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving


The other day I was standing in my kitchen when I heard the back door open. I was getting ready to make pies for Thanksgiving. All the preparations had been made and I was starting to whip up my first set of crusts. When I heard the door shut, I looked at the clock and figured Kaedell had arrived. I waited for the sound of little feet. Eden walked in first. She greeted me with her usual perky smile and then a stranger suddenly appeared before me. I threw my hands in the air and shouted, "Santa Clause!" He was much shorter than I had seen in previous years, still the same, I walked right up to him and asked if I could climb up on his knee and tell him everything I wanted for Christmas.  With that comment laughter ensued. I don't think Santa had thought about me sitting on his knee. He was obviously stricken with humor at the thought. As he was laughing I squealed, "Corbin, It's you! I thought you were the real Santa for sure!" (It's very important when you are a grandma that you play your part well.)

Corbin wore his santa hat all day. Kaedell told me he had spotted it at Winnco when she was grocery shopping and since it was only .99 cents she brightened his day and bought it. After all the pies had been baked and a storm blew in, we quickly started sending everyone on their way. Kadie hung back since she didn't live far. "We have to make cookies out of the left over dough mom," she went on to tell me how that's the best part of pie day. After the cookies came out of the oven Corbin was sitting at the bar happily eating his fair share when our conversation about the hat started up.
"Corbin," I said. "You almost had me fooled with that hat."
"Really grandma," was his reply.
"Yup," I retorted. Then I went on to tell him how there was only one thing that made his disguise that day a sham.
"What's that grandma," he inquired. I paused for a minute and leaned in real close to him. Then I whispered.
"Corbin, Santa has a beard! Where is your beard? You've got to have a beard if you're going to be believable!" That was all I said and then I smiled smugly. I could see he was really thinking over my impounding words. I could tell his mind was plotting the acquisition of a real beard. That was the end of our conversation.

We finished cleaning up and consumed all the cookies. Then the bundling took place, lots of hugs and kisses and I watched the car lights disappear down the road.

Pie day is a wonderful day. I went to bed happy and tired.

The next morning I woke up to my phone announcing a Facebook post had come in. I pulled it open and to my surprise. There in my inbox was a picture of Santa Clause ---The real Santa Clause! He was winking at me. There beneath his picture was the caption, "Now do you recognize me?"

Life with grandchildren is so fine!

Today is Thanksgiving. Here I sit at my cabin. Today I am feeling so blessed. It is the day I purposely stop, pause and count. I am overwhelmed, the counting is endless! Today I am thankful I have my health, my children have their health, my grandchildren have their health. That is a plentiful amount of blessings with out counting anything else! I am warm today. It is 20 below zero outside, right this very minute. Inside my home away from home, the fires are burning rich in my hearth and my heart! I am safe, protected, and free. I am an American! I am with my family today. Love surrounds me and with that I see untold beauty in the day. All I have and enjoy this day I owe to my Father above. His love is my sustaining breath! And to my Savior, my brother who makes up the difference for me. I give thanks for this day. My heart swells with gratitude untold.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!   ---From the real Santa and I!

No comments: