Sunday, January 23, 2011
For The Love Of Jeans
It wasn't a planned thing, it just happened. One minute I was home with my wallet safe in the drawer, and the next minute I was standing in the mall buying jeans. I blame it all on Kyle. The whole thing started when Kyle ordered Kaedell to go and get some up to date, in style jeans. Kaedell said she needed some help, so Emy and I volunteered, then Des caught wind of our shopping plan and that's how it all began.
The first mistake was probably agreeing to go. After we arrived at the mall, I made my second mistake, I followed those girls right into the Buckle without even thinking. Well, everyone knows if you want the latest greatest in swanky butt crackin' jeans you have to go to the Buckle. That's when the trouble grew into a lethal threat to my wallet. See as soon as I entered the Buckle, Deserey started picking out jeans to try on. "Excuse me," I said emphatically in a loud and bossy tone, "Hey little girl, we're picking out jeans for Kaedell." I followed that up with, "I know this might come as a surprise to you, but your name is not Kaedell!" Deserey proceeded right into the dressing room with her stack of rhinestone studded pockets. It was as if she hadn't heard a word I said. I hate it! She knows I'm a smooshy push over!
After my obvious disgust with Deserey's listening abilities. Emilyn and I began browsing a few of the racks of clothing. Suddenly it dawned on me Emilyn was not trying on any jeans. "Em," I said, "You're the only one not in a dressing room. You better get in there and join them." Em looked at me with her practical face. "I don't need jeans mom," she sighed.
I think that's about the time the idea of depleting my funds started to take shape in my head. It was just an inkling at first. I started thinking about how wise my oldest daughter is and how grounded she has grown in her ability to save. I weighed my thoughts back and forth. They started with thoughts on how grounded is good and I should learn from my daughter. Those thoughts however were soon replaced with thoughts on how sometimes life needs a little impulse spending. Emilyn is not impulsive, nor did her husband order her to go and get new jeans. I knew right then and there the impulse irrational spending would have to take place on my part. And that's how the thought was born.
It took a bit of doing but I finally got the sales woman to bring Emilyn some jeans as well. "Get in there and try em' on Em." I wouldn't take no for an answer. Well you should have seen them all coming out of their dressing rooms giggling and laughing. It was the most entertaining hour I've had in a long time. It wasn't long and they were trying on every pair in the store. I whipped out my iPhone and took a picture of them, they all looked so cute in their new shapely attire. I had forgotten what great jeans look like, heck I had forgotten what a cute shape looks like. Keep in mind my eyes have only seen Eddie Bauer jeans for the last six years. I've gotten many of my blue faded jeans for a dollar. Who cares about fancy pockets and side stitching when you can buy jeans for a buck!
After each one of them had finally found a pair they loved, the idea was now clear and cemented. That's when the words just flew right out of my mouth. I looked at the clerk and said, "Wrap them up, I'll take all three." The clerk was surprised at my announcement. Emy and Kadie said, No mom, you can't buy us jeans." I think they said "no" to me at least a million times. Deserey just looked at me and asked if she could get a second pair. (Hahahahah) Ok, so I'm kidding.
I can't remember when the last time was I took my three girls shopping. I know it was clear back when wrinkles hadn't been invented on my face. I haven't had that much fun in a decade. My impulsive spending spree was the funnest moment ever. I felt like I was rich for all of two seconds until I got home and opened up my wallet. Still, the look on their faces made the jeans worth every penny I paid. And the pain of paying off my charge card was well worth the priceless experience of doing something I had never done before with all three of my girls together like that.
Now when I see them wearing their new jeans I just laugh. I love sporadic split second shopping! I better save my money so we can do it again. I know some other girls who are going to want to go too.
One last note; I wished I looked that good in a pair of jeans!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Ha ha ha ha :-) That was the funnest shopping trip I had been on in a long time! Thanks again Mom!
P.S. We started the trip because it was for Deserey's and Kaedell's Birthday.:-)I was just a lucky bystander
Oooh, sounds so fun!!
Post a Comment