Saturday, January 1, 2011

2011 New Years Motto



Good-bye 2010! It was a great year. Hello 2011!

As I contemplated choosing a motto for this year lots of thoughts crossed my mind. "Be Happy" served me well in the year 2010. I've learned over the past year, happiness is by in large a choice we make each day, no matter what our circumstances find us in. And I must note here, given certain circumstances choosing to be happy is not always an easy choice to make. Which is why I'll keep working on a measure of it even now as I move on to new ideas for this upcoming new year.

Picking a New Year's Motto, is no easy task. Each year I try to choose something my life needs at the moment. I sort of give myself a cumulative exam to see where I'm weak and what parts of my life need improvement. After painfully looking over the worst in me I take it to the man upstairs and seriously pray for direction. Every year I am astounded at how the Lord blatantly hands me my answer. I have a testimony that when we ask the Lord to show us what we need to work on, He immediately responds!

This year my mind hadn't even drifted to the chosen topic. I'm here to tell all, I did not pick my motto this year, no, it jumped out and picked me. Further more, when it presented itself a host of angels confirmed it.

Usually the month of January makes me want to focus on the state of my weight, not the state of my relationships. January usually has me looking at the physical, not the interpersonal. Yet it is not how much I weigh that largely determines my happiness. Experts state repeatedly that the quality of our relationships is the single biggest predictor of our happiness. I find it interesting today that here this past year I've been working on choosing to be happy and today I find that by improving my relationships I can also increase my overall state of happiness. It is no coincidence I am led here today.

With personal bonds being so important, it would seem prudent to put a little work into improving them, especially if they are struggling or even just a little lacking in luster. And it's always great to forge new relationships as well.

One thing I've learned in this life is that quality relationships don't come easy. They take a lot of time and effort. And the older I get the more I find the people closest to me are always the easiest to neglect. Focusing in on improving my relationships in this life seems largely important to me this year. It builds on my pursuit of happiness and leads me closer to it.

So that's it . . . 2011 is going to be "The year of great relationships!"

Happy New Year Everyone! Thanks for all the kindness you've shown me and my family this past year! May the new year fill your life with great blessings and any time you stop by the Crow's Nest may you always find a good word and a friend!

No comments: