Sunday, September 12, 2010

"If I Can Just Get This Week Over With."


It's nearly midnight and I'm tired. My head is buzzing a bit, remnants of a left over virus still linger in the back of my throat, and my general overall sense of well being feels a little bit melancholy. I'm not up and I'm not really down. I guess I'm in that place where I think too much.
The house is finally dark and quiet. I do love this time of night. I love the peaceful tranquility that the late night hours bring. My family is home, everyone is tucked safely into bed and all the world seems right. 
Homecoming week is finally over and my house looks it. It's had no tender care for some time now. It has reached it's all time cluttery high! I can tell it's the end of summer. Kaedell even came over the other day and made fun of my obvious lack of dusting. The signs are visible everywhere. It's true, every room screams "Clean me!" 
As I sat down at the computer tonight, a thing I do when the house grows still, I got thinking about the up coming week. That's when I noticed it, my thoughts. I was going over all the things I need to get done this week, calculating them out in my head one by one. That's when my mind formed the exact same sentence it's been forming now for the last couple of months. "If I can just get this week over with..."
As that thought gripped me I realized I'm missing something. I'm pushing through my life like a bulldozer. And that's when I had to stop and ask myself. Am I enjoying my life? I thought back to my motto for the year. "Be Happy!"
A friend of mine saw a sign at the farmers market and took a picture of it, then posted it on her blog. The sign read, "Man, unlike animals, has never learned that the sole purpose in life is to enjoy it." Well it made me think long and hard. I have concluded... I don't like living my life with the "Let's get it over" approach.
Tonight I am making a mental adjustment, reframing things. I decided to reformat my statement, "I can't wait, I'm really going to enjoy this week." There, I feel better already. I'm going to bed. Tomorrow is a new day and I'm going to live it fully, not just get it over with!
I am reminded of a little plaque that hangs above my kitchen sink. "For this is the day the Lord hath made, rejoice and be glad in it!" and so I shall!
Quote for the day! "One day your life is going to flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching!"
Nighty, night!

No comments: