Friday, September 24, 2010

Happy Birthday Spencer-Roo


One of the funnest things I get to do as a grandma is take my grandchildren shopping on their birthday. When I picked Spencer up for his shopping spree the other day, he knew right away where he wanted to go. We climbed in the car and it was off to Walmart. 
The grandkids are getting smarter. They anticipate the up coming shopping trip and before their birthday even rolls around they are looking continually when they go shopping with their moms for the beloved item they will buy when they are with me.
The Spider Man isle was the first place we headed to when we got in the door. I was amazed at Spencer's ability to weigh out all the factors in making his decision. There was the price to consider and how many things he could get and stay within his budget. 
I have botten this child two Spider Man suits, not counting the extra one I bought to keep at my house for him when he comes over. And we would have gone home with a third if he hadn't grown so big. 
I kept telling him, "Bud, you just don't fit in that size anymore." He was down right depressed for a bit, but it didn't last long. Soon he was on to new ideas for what he could pick out.
When he finally narrowed it down to four items he wanted, his brain really went into doing some serious calculations. See, given the price he could only pick three out of the four. The next thing I knew he was taking inventory on the shelves; how many of each item was left. He wanted to pick the items with the greatest amount, that way, when he came shopping the next day with his other grandma he could get the fourth item and there would be no chance they were all gone. Now you can't tell me that's not being one smart kid!
That night when Spencer went to bed he told his mother, "I was really smart mom. I got things that cost less so I could get more."
  

After having no end of fun at Walmart we headed to McDonalds, the one with the huge indoor playground. I wish I could record our conversation over dinner. Seven year olds are much smarter than you think. 

Spencer is in a program at his school where he speaks Chinese half the day. His teacher is Chinese and Spencer loves this program. He is always telling me when he leaves my house, "再见 zài jiàn (Zai4jian4) -  Translation... Si (long i) Jen. Which means Good-bye.
While we were at McDonalds, Spencer met another child his age. It just happened that this little boy was Chinese. Well, they struck up a friendship immediately and played together until it was time for us to leave.
It didn't surprise me that Spencer made a friend the second another kid walked in. That is how he is, he is a friendly guy. He's also very thoughtful. He'll give things away most kids wouldn't part with if their life depended on it. And to his sisters no less. Spencer is a little boy with a big heart!



Spencer loves to do everything. He is getting to be a really good little golfer and he loves fishing with his grandpa. His grandpa loves fishing with him as well!



I'm a lucky person. I have the best grandkids ever! Spencer you are a wonderful grandson! Grandma loves you sooooooo much! Grandpa too! Then there are all those crazy aunts and uncles who adore you! And cousins who think you're simply spectacular! You are a keeper little boy! Glad you belong to the Crowther Clan! Happy Birthday Bud! WE LOVE YOU!!!

1 comment:

Papa Bird said...

Well Spence Buddy Happy Birthday!!!!
I , as well as your grandma,aunts,uncles ,cousins,even the Chinese kid at McDonalds think you are the Greatest!!!!! I can't think of single person I'd rather be with than my little buddy Spence.When you go anywhere with him you had better be prepared for a conversatiion cause he is going to give you one.Either ask you questions, or share withyou some of his vast knowledge...It doesn"t much matter which it is cause you are going to enjoy every minute of it..Spence I just want you to know that Grandpa loves you so much and life is going to slow down for me soon and when it does we have alot of fishing to catch up on....Hope you had a great Birthday-------see you soon at the cabin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!