Thursday, September 23, 2010

Did I Say You Could Move In With Me?

I don't recall sending out any formal written invitations. There are no signs posted on my house that say "Free Room and Board." Who do they think they are?
I don't know what gave them the idea they could move in with me. Yet that's just what they did; they packed up all their belongings and moved the whole famn Damily right in!
This story is not for the faint of heart! You've been warned.
I tell you, it was providence that saved me! Do you know what providence is? It's important you fully know and understand the meaning behind the word. It's one of the most important words I've ever learned. I now use it in my vocabulary daily! I picked it up from Anne of Green Gables. It was during a section of the movie when Marilla Cuthbert was telling Anne her heartfelt ideas on how she and Mathew were blessed to adopt her. She told Anne on the way up the stairs, "It was providence." After crying my eyes out being so touched with the whole movie, I ran to my dictionary and looked up Marilla's wisdom. There it was... Providence - "The gentle guidance of God!!
Yeserie, in my case that's exactly what it was... providence!
I was headed downstairs to my pig stye unfinished basement. I was B-lining it to my fruit room to be exact. My basement is a mess! I hate going down there. It reminds me I have a dual personality; clean slash dirty.
I was getting ready to  do some canning. You know, getting organized for the next day. When I got to the bottom stair I received a text message on my totally tech savvy iPhone, I love that thing. And that's when it struck, providence. I just know God guided me in that very instance and I plopped myself right down on the bottom stair.
I sat down and began to read the message printed on my phone.  Then I responded back, and after that I found myself real comfortable sitting there. After all, I had a chance to catch my breath in a spot no one could find me. I took advantage of it. While sitting there I decided to check my emails. That was so much fun I moved right on to Facebook. I can do everything but cook dinner on my iPhone! I think I sat there for nearly twenty minutes. As I was tapping there on my life line responding to my social network in cyber space, out of the corner of my eye I spotted him, a tiny mouse marching right past me.
I gasped, I was utterly in shock.
He wasn't very big and immediately I pole vaulted myself to the top of the stairs and to the shoe box where I keep the mouse traps. My skin was crawling a little bit and I was totally disgusted. Mice are dirty and I was determined to give the poor little fellow a lethal eviction notice.
I could only find one trap and after fetching it from the box I ran right to the fridge, opened the meat drawer and carved off a nice hunk of cheese.
Peanut Butter or Cheese? It's like Cannon or Nikon? So many opinions. I'm a cheese fan, I think cheese has the Nikon cutting edge on luring mice!
I loaded the trap and made my way carefully down the stairs and placed it right where he disappeared behind the Coleman cooler. Then I did the unthinkable. I sat back down on the bottom stair and waited like a cat for the kill! Morbid aren't I?
I was running out of patience when I saw him tip toe from behind his tall fortress green wall (the side of the cooler.)  He sauntered right up to the trap and proceeded to dine. He nibbled a bit and then ran back to his hiding place. He did this several times, each time going back and forth hiding and then coming out for more dinner. Some trap? It didn't even move. I was beginning to think this mouse didn't weigh enough to kill himself. I kept thinking with each bite it was sure to go off but it didn't. I was growing agitated now.
After sitting there a long time, I had to go to the bathroom. Clearly disappointed, I made my way up the stairs, turned the corner and barely got myself sat down on the porcelain when I heard the sound. . . S N A P!
I smiled in great satisfaction. It bordered on gloating!
I finished my bodily functions and then went bounding straight upstairs to get Goose. I drug him to the basement with his pint sized black hurst to get rid of the tiny remains. We had no official ceremonial service.  



Where there is one there could be two!


Two??? Are you kidding? That would have been nice. How about FIVE? How about SIX? I just keep catching them. Count to date: EIGHT! It's every night. Tomorrow I'm going on a hunting spree for holes in my garage. I've never had trouble with mice. By the way, Goose is sick of his regular trips to the basement now. It's become a ritual.
Long story short; I caught six babies, one mother and one very fat father! Now I'm wondering how many kids they had and did the mother give birth to them in my house or did the whole family follow her in? Are there cousins? Aunts and Uncles? Is a tribal congregation going to follow? Is it a colony?
I can't think about it. I can't talk about it. No questions please.

Today I went to Walmart at 6 AM. I bought a mouse killing arsenal! Tomorrow I'm going to line me up some cats, one's with claws and appetites. I'm also posting a sign in the garage where I'm sure they are making their grand entry.
NO MICE ALLOWED! AND. . . TRESPASSERS WILL BE KILLED!
I know, I'm a heartless wench!
So deal with it!
I just want to tell them, "No I did not say you could move in with me!"

1 comment:

Katie said...

yikes!! it brings to mind the movie, Ratatouille. Ever seen it?

(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NMs6lq32QHo) about 10:45 minutes in to it.
Good luck getting them out!
:shiver: