Monday, September 6, 2010

Homecoming


This week is going to be a busy week around the Crowther house. It's homecoming week at FHS which means lots of work for Des who is a student body officer. Homecoming is their baby, so the to-do list is big and long.
Des has been pretty busy for the last few weeks just orchestrating all the planning. Because she loves art and has some talent there, all of the other officers and advisors asked her to design the football field for the big game. Just drawing it all out on paper took her several days. Friday her and all of her co-leaders spent the day staking out Desi's intricate designs. I went down to take her a few items she forgot and it was pretty cool to see all of her hard work on paper take form on the field. I can't wait to see what it looks like after they get it all painted.
Last week Des had a nice surprise. She was sitting in class when someone from the office came in and handed her a white envelope. She was pretty excited when she opened it up and found she had been nominated for Homecoming Queen.
Last Tuesday her and all seven of the other candidates went out to Avante and had their pictures taken. The pictures will be displayed in the commons throughout this coming week.
Desi's picture turned out so cute and whether she wins or not, I was one proud Mama just knowing she'd been nominated.
Everyone keeps asking her when all the festivities will take place.
Thursday is the big parade. I'm going to get a prime curb side seat with my camera all set up. Des gets to ride in a fancy truck wearing one of her fancy formals.  She's going to look so cute! Ok so I'm prejudice! Friday morning is the assembly where she'll get to stroll down the isle like a Princess and then be escorted up on stage by some handsome guy. Desi asked Corbin if he wanted to put on his best suit and be her handsome Prince. You should have seen the look on this 5 year old's face. Every time Corbin sees Des in one of her dresses, he tells her she looks just like a Princess! He was so excited.
Friday night is the big game against Weber High and during half-time Man With A Drill will get to escort his lovely daughter dressed in her pretty blue gown out onto the field. The old man doesn't know it yet, but I'm going to rent him a Black Tuxedo for the night. It's only right and I think it will go so nicely with his graying hair. Don't ya think? After all, this is it. This is another one of those lasts. It's the last time he'll have the opportunity to have his little girl on his arm. Next time he puts on a tuxedo she'll be all grown up and we'll be going to a wedding! Oh my, I can't even think about that!
After they stroll out onto the field. After I've snapped every picture I can, that's the moment they will announce the lucky winner.  It won't matter what name they read. I already know who the winner is. It's ME! It's Glade and I. We are the real winners! Deserey is just the best kid ever. Nearly 18 years ago, God gave me the finest once again for the 8th time! Eight of the greatest blessings ever to come into my life. And I'm on the tail end now, finishing up with the last one, and everyday with this little girl has been nothing but pure joy!
Good luck Des! You're beautiful clear through! And man alive, are you ever going to have a fan club cheering for you in the stands Friday night. You're our touchdown girl! A real WINNER in every way!


4 comments:

Gage and Missy!! said...

That picture of Desi is so gorgeous! Desi you are such a beautiful girl!

Gavin said...

You're a beauty Des! Such an amazing girl so fun and positive doesn't matter if you don't win we all know you should ha ha love ya.

Papa Bird said...

So well said Faye, I am so glad that I was outvoted 18 years ago on the big family vote, of whether or not we had enough room in the suburban for another family member to occupy.........Des has been such a blessing to us all !!!!!!!! Des we all know that you are going to be the most gorgeous girl there, and I am so proud to be able to be your escort...
PS. Your beauty runs far deeper than just the physical, you really are the whole picture......love ya dad!

Anonymous said...

You rock DES!!!! I think your biggest fans are in this house! The Umbrell house votes for DES!!!