The invitation said, “Bring a tribute or memory,” it is to be a
planned celebration honoring 90 years of goodness. I held the invitation in my
hand. It was announcing an opportunity to honor a beautiful life well lived; a
life that has touched so many other lives it scarcely leaves room to count.
If Des had to respond with some numeric
assessment in reference to her grandmother and the lives she’s influenced,
she’d shake her head wildly, throw her hands in the air, and shout, “A bazillion”.
Seriously, I think that would be a
scanty count in calculating acts of good that have blessed each and every
individual that has come in contact with this great woman.
As I stood pondering over the date, with warmth and tender
memories now starting to fill the floodgates, I tried to think back to the day
our paths first crossed. That day when my life encountered a force for good, a
force that from then on has always continued to light my way making it so much
brighter.
I remember the first day I met Eleanor clearly. It was a couple of years after Hazel had passed away. Lorin had brought her over to his home for the first time. As Glade and I pulled up to the house there she was standing in the driveway under the shade of the huge
pines near the catalpa tree. And from that very first moment when I met her, I liked her, I
liked her a lot! It didn’t surprise me that everyone else in the family liked
her too. To win the love and devotion of the entire Crowther clan ---no easy
task! Hahaha Eleanor did it in a
snap!
Over the course of time getting to know Eleanor became a
real treat. The qualities I came to know and trust are too many to list but I
can tell you the one’s I gravitate to constantly when I am in need.
There is her ability to nurture. Eleanor can see into any
human soul and immediately detect what is needed. She’s a monumentally good
listener, she hears the heart and what it’s calling for and she immediately
responds with a loving ability to tend and care for it’s soulful needs. She
doesn’t necessarily try to fix things, instead she reminds the heart of it’s
own strength and capabilities, then she feeds it with everything needed to
bring it back to it’s own inherent strength.
I can be down and struggling with a myriad of things in my
life. During that time I can pay Eleanor a visit in person or even on the phone
and in the course of our conversation, even though I never think I’m
complaining about the things I am struggling with, immediately Eleanor begins
her gentle loving way of tending to my soul. Her voice, her mannerisms, her
simple way of bringing me back to the good within myself is amazing. It’s like
she’s fixing me and she doesn’t even know it. Those who nurture best in this
life always bring us back to a remembrance of our own strength. Even now, if I am having a bad day, if I am discouraged, if I am struggling, the
first person I always wish I could talk to is Eleanor.
That brings me to the next great thing I gravitate towards
in this wonderful woman; Her wisdom. Wow, does she ever carry enormous amounts
of wisdom. Eleanor knows so much about everything, from the simple to the complex;
she just has a base of knowledge that extends to so many different realms it’s
too vast to write about.
The wisdom however that I gravitate to usually isn’t about
cooking, although I love her soup, or cleaning my house, although I do try to occasionally tap into her
vast resources on that as well as her use of English, grammar, writing everything including
great verse. The real wisdom
however that I seem to be always seeking is her ability to deal with people.
Someone should give Eleanor a complimentary Doctorate in Psychology, because no
matter what personality type she is dealing with she knows the very best way to
handle it!!!
I give no exaggeration to this woman’s ability to deal with
the most difficult situations anyone can encounter in life when it comes to people. And every time I am so
frustrated in my relationships of one kind or another, I always ask myself,
“What would Eleanor do?” When I’m struggling with a person, immediately I have
a burning desire to call up Eleanor and ask her how to handle the situation.
Talking to Eleanor when I’m frustrated is like taking three Prozac. She
immediately calms me and she opens up my mind to different ways of thinking
about my frustration so that I can handle it in a more positive, un-nerving
way! I love talking to Eleanor. She is like plugging myself into a direct
intravenous line of optimistic enlightenment!!! And it’s that way in everything
with this great lady!
I could go on all day about the things I love dearly about
Eleanor. Glade and my children tout the same. Glade and I got talking the other
day about stories that are near and dear to us that center around our memories
with Eleanor.
There was the sad time when Lorin passed away. Eleanor was
given a flag in honor of Lorin’s service to our country. Everyone in the family wanted that
flag. Glade and I wanted it more, and Eleanor saw our hearts and knew it. I was
born on the 4th of July. My blood bleeds red, white, and blue. I’ve
always been upset my parents didn’t name me Liberty. My heart is a deeply
patriotic one and so is Glade’s. Glade and I have a flagpole and we always fly
the flag.
In the conflict over who should get the flag, once again
Eleanor’s tremendous wisdom was tactically deployed. She quietly said, “I think
I’d like to keep the flag myself.” This woman is a genius in my book! What was anyone going to say to that? And so she
did, she kept and enjoyed that flag for several months and then one day out of
the blue, she appeared at our home. In her hands… a flag.
That flag now rests in a glass covered case in my home. It
is a tender gift Glade and I will never forget. Emily Dickenson said, “A true
gift contains a portion of thyself.”
And so it does! When I look at that flag resting beneath the glass, my
heart floods with emotion. I see several things. I see Glade’s dad. I see how a
family sacrificed. I see Lorin’s personal sacrifices and all he gave to a
country I love. I see Eleanor and her keen sense of ability to see into the
human soul, to see what Glade and I’s hearts desperately wanted. Today I cannot
look at that flag and not see great love in many different ways. That meant the
world to Glade and it meant to world to me. It is a tender gift that will never
be forgotten. This is who Eleanor is. This is her divine character. This is
just a small molecule of what I love about her and I know other family members have similar
stories!
The last few months I’ve been caring for my mom who is also
89 and struggling. I think about Eleanor everyday but I have not phoned her and
spoke with her for a long time. I look forward to her 90th birthday celebration and what
I think is a celebration of a most beautiful remarkable life. I can’t wait until I get to see her,
feel her love and once again be reminded of what I’d like to grow into!
I have a long way to go to be like this great lady I so
deeply admire. I’m going to have to work on eliminating a lot of selfishness in
me, because to be like Eleanor is to be unselfish in every way. I’m going to
have to work on doing a lot less complaining too because Eleanor could be on
deaths doorstep and you’d never hear a word about it. She is always more
interested in the person she’s talking to, in their life, and how she can be
helpful to them. This woman is amazing in her ability to suffer alone with
anything she struggles with, she’s an example of courage and how to think more
of others instead of concentrating on one's self. In all things she sets the ultimate example. She really does!
Like everything else in my life, I’ve left writing this
tribute about her to the last minute. My tribute to this great lady doesn’t even begin to
do her justice. Today however, I want her to know how much I love her, how dear
she is to me, how much Glade loves her, how much my children love her. She has
mothered all of us in every sense of the word and with no less importance than
her own children!
She is the finest example of anyone I know. When I sit in
church or in some public event, or in a casual setting that asks me to draw
upon a remembrance of some great individual I’d like to meet, or some
tremendous person I know, if I’m ever asked who I’d like to pattern my life
after, I always think of Eleanor! In my worship of the Savior and his great
loving sacrifice for me, again, I see her there. She has followed the Savior's pattern in a remarkable way! She has made herself like Him and I see that
in her in such a magnificent way that I hope I can follow in that direction with such exactness as she has.
Happy Birthday Eleanor! Thank you for loving me the way you
have. Thank you for overlooking the worst in me and for always bringing out the
best. Glade loves you and he sends his gratitude with every ounce of depth as
I. My children thank you and also send their love and gratitude. Some day I
hope to be something like you. It’s not completely possible but when I think of the greats
in this life who have lived the way I should like to --- I will always think of
you and of all your goodness, and especially of your tender loving example.
You’re amazing! And I say that with deep sincerity!
In closing, when I think of the movie “It’s A Beautiful Life
(and I could go on an on about watching, sharing, and all the good memories I have with you and a good movie) I will always
think of you Eleanor. You’re life is beautiful to all of us. You are such a
blessing to this family and most importantly you have always given us a
beautiful pattern to follow. I’ve always said, “You, dear lady, are a
treasure!”
Glade asked me the other night, "How in the world do you think Dad got so lucky to find Eleanor?" I looked at my delightful husband shaking my head and boldly stated, "I can't believe you asked that. You're mother picked her out silly, and sent her straight to us!" And I know she did and we've been blessed ever since!
Happy 90th Birthday Eleanor!
Glade asked me the other night, "How in the world do you think Dad got so lucky to find Eleanor?" I looked at my delightful husband shaking my head and boldly stated, "I can't believe you asked that. You're mother picked her out silly, and sent her straight to us!" And I know she did and we've been blessed ever since!
Happy 90th Birthday Eleanor!
WE LOVE YOU!
Glade, Faye and all

1 comment:
Faye,
It has been a long, LONG time since I have seen you and I am not sure that you would remember me, but I am Nana's (Eleanor's)granddaughter Katie. I am Noel and Ursula's oldest girl.
Thank you for this post. Besides that you are an amazing writer, everything you wrote was absolutely true. I also could not ask for a better grandmother and woman in my life. Thank you for your eloquent words!
Katie (Blonquist) Kirkham
Post a Comment