Friday, January 23, 2009

New Member of the Family

Meet Sassy or as I call her "Sas"! No not Deserey - although she can be a little sassy herself! I was referring to the cat!


Kaedell couldn't stand me crying over Turbo's death any longer. Unbeknown's to me, she spent an entire Saturday looking for me a cat. Petco and Petsmart align themselves with animal shelters in their local areas to place cats in good homes. Kadie went to every Petco and Petsmart in Ogden. After traveling round the countryside, she made one last stop at the Petco in Harrisville. That's where she found Sas. I've never adopted an animal. I'm usually taking the strays in off the street with out any help from a shelter. When Kadie called me though I thought it was the least I could do in honor of Turbo - you know give some cat with a death sentence on it's head a home. I drove right in, took one look at how pretty she was, and that's the end of that story. Now we are no longer catless! This cat is hilarious and nothing like Turbo.

Turbo was a big fat lovable cat that never made a single peep. Gage said he was the perfect cat because we never had to take care of him short of cleaning out the litter box. It's true, we never had to feed Turbo - We'd just filled up the large cat food bin we store in the garage and when Turbo was hungry he'd climb in it and eat. One time he even got locked in there. We found him a day later and luckily he hadn't lost any weight, he was a little thirsty though. We never had to do anything with Turbo. If we didn't clean out the litter box he'd just poop right next to it. This cat was 100 percent self-sufficient! Sas, on the other hand I'm learning, has been spoiled. She snubbed her nose at my dried Walmart Meow mix cat food and didn't eat for two days because she thought sooner or later I was going to bring on the expensive canned entrees. There is no "Gormet" cat anything at my house. If you're a cat and you live with me then you can just be thankful someone pets you, feeds you and allows you to breath! I knew she was spoiled the minute I was standing in the kitchen, popped open a can of tuna, looked down, and found her at my feet. I told her "Listen honey, you are a cat, your life is virtually worthless around here and if you don't eat that cheap crap I bought for you sitting out in the garage - you are going to be lying next to Turbo in the garden! I saved your life, so you are going to have to learn to love that food or it's back to the gas chamber!" After two days she consigned her self to the dry cat food, but every time I pop a can she comes a runnen, (Pavlov's Dog)! The minute I brought Sas home she took up residency on a shelf in my laundry room, so I stuck her litter box and food in there and now if someone forgets we have a cat and shuts the closet doors, she's totally self-sufficient like Turbo was. People kept doing this to her for a week. I'd walk out in the laundry room and the doors would be shut. I'd have to remind people, "Hey, gomers, we have a cat now and she doesn't want to live in 'closet prison'!"

We didn't know what we were going to call her for the first day, but then she revealed her name to us quite remarkably. The grandkids came over one day just after we brought her home and they were all petting her when she got a little nervous with all of them plucking at her so, and immediately she grabbed hold of Corbin's hand with her teeth and wouldn't let him go. She literally held on to his hand quite forcefully and for sometime mind you. I'm sure it seemed like hours to Corbin. You should have seen the look on his face and heard him wail! With Corbin screaming at the top of his lungs, the grandkids removed their hands in lightening speed with no intentions of ever touching the cat again. Meanwhile Corbin just sat there making a lot of noise while his hand was locked in the "Jaws" from hell! I smacked the cat on the head promptly (I'm totally into cat abuse) which triggered a "let go" response and I told her if she ever did that again I'd dismember her! She learned her lesson that day and has warmed up to all of us very nicely, kids included, but we named her "Sassy" after that incident. She's in for a rude awakening come spring. That's when I'll introduce her to her new outdoor living quarters and the neighbor dogs. She loves Winston, so I'm hoping they all get along. She's a pretty funny cat with major attitude in her tail. I hope she can survive the Crowther family as long as Turbo did. He was a great cat and she's got some big kitty paws to fill!

2 comments:

Des said...

haha i am not sassy!! :D

Kaedell Ellis said...

Welcome to the Crowther crew Sassy Cat. I'm glad I found you and now you have a good home.