Saturday, May 1, 2010

The 4 B's



Good nutrition is crucial if you are running any race! I'm finding this out the hard way as I complete my long runs on Tuesdays. I've been struggling with an onset of depression about five hours after running. Seriously, about five or six hours after my long runs I turn into a balling basket case. Thankfully Glade works in Logan and Bear Lake with a Master Certified Physical Trainer/Licensed Sports Nutritionalist. Today I found out some really important tips. Thanks Lance ---you're a life savor!
Here is his advice!
A- Eat a diet rich in complex carbs, protein, and some healthy fat. Complex carbs should always take up the most room on your plate. Think of the 4 B's - Bananas, Broccoli, Beans, and Bread. These food groups represent Fruit, Vegetables, Beans, and Whole grains! These are important for fueling the muscles!
A- Always eat an hour before a long run. Whole grain bagel with peanut butter, makes a nice combo for a pre-run meal. Add a banana and drink lots of water.
B- Lance advises that a person does not use Gu with caffeine much during their training. Instead he recommends the use of the Gu without the caffeine while training and then the use of the Gu with the caffeine when you race. He said, "Use the Gu with caffeine a few times to make certain your body can tolerate the caffeine and then stay clear of it until race day." His advice to me was to use it one week, then avoid it for a couple of weeks, use it again, and then avoid it, repeating this a few times, then no use at all until the race. If your body tolerates it during your trial uses, it will handle it great on race day. Avoiding it the rest of the time aides in it's complete benefit when race day arrives!
His advice made sense. He said, "If you are continually using it to train, your body not only becomes dependent on it, requiring more of it to merely sustain the low levels of energy already present, it looses it's complete ability to give the added boost, which is what your body is calling for. If the body can't recognize it, it provides a greater benefit when it's called for. If the body is conditioned to it, the body becomes dependent on it for any energy at all. This may explain why you can't put down the diet coke or the Mt. Dew and why you can't function at all without it, all you caffein pop addicts! Saving the caffeine benefits for the demands during the race was a great tip!
C- If like me, you are experiencing any depression following a long run, you are not refueling properly! It is not only important that you refuel with certain foods following a strenuous run, but also that you refuel at exact times following a strenuous run.
IMPORTANT: Within 20-30 minutes, following serious long distance running, you MUST drink 8-16 ounces of some sort of a recovery drink. Chocolate Milk, Ensure, or SlimFast fit the bill here. There are lots of pricey recovery drinks out on the market, Lance assured me Chocolate milk is as good as it gets! It has everything the body needs in the right proportions, but it's important to down it as soon as possible and no later than 30 minutes.
Also According to Lance, Gu is nothing but straight Sugar. This explains the peak, and the fall and why refueling must take place at certain intervals following serious exertion. Within the hour of your long distance run, eat some serious complex carbs. Whole grains, vegetables, some protein. This is when you fix that nice big turkey sandwich on some whole grain bread and load your plate with vegetables. Continue drinking lots of fluids, and continue grazing on the 4 B's throughout the remainder of the day. It is really important to eat well throughout the day following a long strenuous run!
Do not run again until you are no longer sore. If you are still sore on the day following your rest day, the muscles have not entered into their recovery phase and are still breaking down. That's why it's vital to rest and eat well the day of your long run, so the muscles can rebuild faster!
This also explains why my depression lifted following two huge bowls of Hamburger soup that was loaded with veggies! Lance said the purpose of eating at exact times, and continuing to eat well throughout the day is to bring the body off the sugar high slowly without the adverse side affects (sitting on the couch crying.) This also rebuilds, and refuels the muscles. (Isn't the body amazing!)
My night sweats were explained because serious amounts of sugar can alter serious hormone balances. I had the Gu, (pure sugar) then I didn't eat anything until nine thirty that night, ate well way late in the game, but then followed it up with more sugar. I like candy before I go to bed, not good! I won't be doing that again!!!
I learned my lesson the hard way, so I hope this information is helpful!
I'm planning different for my next long distance run and can't wait to feel the benefits. I'll have that turkey sandwich all ready made in the fridge along with lots of fresh cut vegetables before I go to bed Monday night. Tuesday morning I'm eating the bagel with peanut butter whether I feel like it or not. Chocolate milk will be the first thing I reach for when I walk back in the door. Following my Turkey vegetable meal an hour after I'm back from my huffing and puffing, I'm going to graze like a cow all day!!! I think I'll have a steak for dinner loaded with more vegetables. And I won't be eating any sugar before I climb into bed! No more bedtime candy for me!!!
Happy Running!

1 comment:

Brandon said...

Ok Faye, I'm making a comment on your blog. Shocking right? I think it's awesome that you're running so often and training for your race. Keep it up! Almost makes me want to get out and run... almost. Chels has been running too, so I guess I should get with the program.