Monday, May 17, 2010

Beautiful Day For A Race!

I woke up bright and early on Saturday and found myself alone in the world. Glade was working at the Lake, Des was off with her friends, Goose and Seth all gone as well. No one home. Not one soul around. I called Kaedell to see if she wanted to be my side kick for the morning, since she's in marathon mode. I thought maybe she'd like to see the runners, and she was too busy too. I almost called an older grandkid, but then I remembered soccer and piano.
Saturday for those of you who are oblivious to the running world just happened to be the Ogden Marathon. I actually tried to sign up for the Ogden 1/2, but if you don't sign up early, this marathon is ranked number 9 in the country and it fills up fast.
I sort of felt stupid going alone, but I just wanted to see it. I wanted to see everything, get a feel for maybe what it will be like when I am actually in one. I had a few friends that were running in it, so I decided I was going even if I had to go alone. At the last minute I grabbed my camera and (be still my heart) I'm so glad I did! A camera is always the best friend you can take with you anywhere!
I drove to 12th street and caught a large group of runners coming under the bridge there at the mouth of the canyon. There were a few people cheering for them and you could clearly see, having someone to clap and shout from the sideline really meant a lot to the runners.
It didn't take me long and I got right into the cheering. One man stretched his hand out and I gave him a high five on his way past. The whole scene was the most inspirational thing I've seen in a long time. Really, it was one of the best things I've ever watched.
I hadn't been there ten minutes when who came barreling around the corner, a girl I love with all my heart, Meredith! I hurried and snapped a picture, clapped and whistled as loud as I could and nearly started to ball! Well, the look on her face was absolutely motivating and knowing what these runners had gone through to get here left me fighting back the tears.


After seeing Meredith, I knew I had to get to the finish line. I knew right then, that's where I wanted to be with my camera. Being about three miles away, I jumped in my car and headed to 25th and Grant. The runners would continue down the Ogden walkway, past the old rodeo grounds, under the bridge there on washington, they would come out on Grant and head South to 25th street where the big green banner stretched across marking the end. 
I positioned myself about three quarters from 25th street itself and got ready with my camera to see who I could catch. 




Bryce Moyes came by and totally took me by surprise. I should have known, he's a runner! He's a Moyes!



I loved watching families join in the race at the end to support a loved one. And the faces of the participants were incredible to see.

                          

It didn't take Meredith long to clock that three miles and I was ready for her. Her smile said it all.




It wasn't long and I spotted Amy Moyes. I enjoyed so many years of working in the young women when Amy was in my ward. This girl can keep you in side splitting hysteria non stop. I hadn't seen her in a long time and I was so excited to take her picture! She's number 6449.





There were the ladies in pink. They were bringing it home together! And I loved their camaraderie!




This mother/son team caught my eye. It took me a minute and I realized it was Merilyn Jenkins Haslam. How fun to run with your son!



Cute little Tiffany Harding came buzzing by not even cracking a sweat. She told me later her family missed her at the finish line and she was so happy because this was the only photo anyone took of her running. See I was inspired!


I was so happy to see my friend and co-worker Janna Shultz heading towards me. Jana has given me some good advice and she gives us grandmas out on the road a good name. I wish I could run as fast. Thanks, Jana for all your help and advice. Great job! 



I started laughing when I saw the man in Pink. Remember the saying, "Be alive, while you are alive!" Well, creativity has no bounds. This man in non other than the surgeon, Dr. Edward Jordan. You can't drive through Ogden and not see him running somewhere. 
He runs the marathon every year in a different outfit. His wife, never knows what he's going to be dressed in until he comes flyin' by. 
Notice his tag is yellow. He is in the middle of the pack of 1/2 marathoners, but this man is running the full thing. Which means he is running like a gazelle! Laugh if you will at his costume, but his running pace puts most people to shame. 
Last year he ran 26.2 miles in a full blown clown suit. Ya, lets see ya do that! 





My old friend and neighbor Natalie, came running past. Miss you Nattie! Move back to Plain City!


We staged this shot because the Adams family was slow to get out of bed. Hahahahaha! Cassie's dad Larry was saying maybe he'd run a marathon next year. I teased him unmercifully that the only place he runs to is the coke machine up my road and he does that in his clean car (LOL). He was holding a coke in his hand when I was teasing him. I told him he was probably late and missed Cassie's amazing finish, because he was at the quarter pop machines buyin' that coke! Good job Cassie. How do people look so cute at the end of a 1/2 marathon?






I felt bad that there were a few people I missed. I so' wanted to see Cami Moyes. I needed to get out bed earlier to catch her, she burned up the road and finished first in her class. And I missed Jackie Ellis Greenwell. She was doing her first 1/2 marathon and I so wanted to see her. Then I missed cute little Shannie Skeen. But I was happy as a lark when Marcie came running by. Marcie knew I had my camera and she would not look at me for anything. hahahaha





The last picture I snapped brought tears to my eyes. Just a raggedy old piece of cardboard, but the message made me cry. It's the message my kids tell me everyday. Things like "You can do it mom, and you're going to be awesome, and all sorts of over embellished encouragement's. Their voices mean everything!
In my heart I worry I won't be any good, or I'm going to fail miserably. I worry about how slow I am, and wonder if I'm getting any better at anything. But it's their voices that keep me working hard and heading toward my goal. 
Watching the Ogden race was one of the most inspiring things I've done in my training.  A thousand different people crossing the finish line all at different times, but all crossing with having done they're very best. There is something to be said for the personal endeavor of climbing over oneself to do what a person didn't think he could do! It's a race where you try to beat yourself! And working towards bettering the power a person has within, is a most worth while goal! I'm so glad I went because seeing everyone's faces cross the finish line, reminded me why I am doing this in the first place! 
Beautiful Day!  

2 comments:

Niki said...

I LOVE watching the marathon every year! After running one (or while training for one) it means a lot more to you! So fun! Good luck on your upcoming race! YOU WILL LOVE IT! It is the most fun atmosphere I've ever been in! Keep up the good work! you will do great!

Amy said...

Faye...I loved this post!!! I am new to running also and this year my friend needed a relay "sub" for their teammate who got the flu the night before the Ogden Marathon. She came and asked me and at 8:00 the night before to run the second leg which is six miles. (I have never ran more than 3-4 in my life, but something made me say yes.) It was the most inspirational/emotional/spiritual thing to run and to watch others run, I can't even describe the high I felt. Loading the bus at 4:45am was amazing!!! Thanks for the post:) It brought back so many good emotions.