Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day Muth

I love throwing things away and I happen to be very good at it. The other day I was going through my stuff and getting rid of junk when I came across all the letters I received on my mission. I am ashamed to say that the thought of throwing them away did enter my mind for a split second. Then I thought of the hours spent writing all those letters and was overwhelmed with gratitude to the people that took time out of their hectic lives to show their love and support for me during those two years and four days in Singapore and Malaysia. Needless to say my love for getting rid of junk was overpowered by that gratitude and the letters are safe. I started reading them one by one and decided that I was going to count each letter and give some people in my family some much needed praise. Well it wasn't too much of a surprise to find out that Mom wrote me the most. She nearly filled up a shoe box all by herself. Since Mother's Day is today I mainly wanted to write this post for you Mom and tell you how grateful I am to have a Mother as great as you. You wrote me 214 letters while I was serving my mission. That means every three and a half days you were writing me one of those 10 sized font, single spaced, typed front and back, multiple page letters. I think about how I hate writing letters and how I probably should have written my own brothers more on their missions and it means even more to me. With four boys serving missions you probably wrote or typed close to 900 letters! How did you do it? Well the answer is simple really - you love your children more than anything else. I've never doubted it and that is one of the greatest blessings a kid can have in this life. I know you would do anything for your children and wanted to say thanks for all you do for me. We took this picture the night I got home from my mission. I guess that is what writing 214 letters does to you. Those letters kept me going for those two years and I know lots of love went in to each and every one. Today I just wanted to post a little something to tell you how much I love you. I know I don't tell you or show you enough and for that I am sorry. I hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day cause you deserve it. Love ya, Seth

4 comments:

Mother Bird said...

Mother's day is sometimes a day when I feel bad as a mother and think about everything I wish I had done with my children that I didn't do, or how I should have done it differently. Opening up the blog and finding your post Seth made all that guilt go away!
I love the pictures, the top one when we hiked to the Lao needle in Maui, the greenest spot on earth. I loved that day. I felt like we were in God's country and here I was standing there with the people I love most in this life.
The bottom picture I can remember as if it were yesterday. I was so tired, I laid down and it was the first time I didn't have to worry about you anymore, you were home and safe and now sleep was no problem!
One of the greatest blessings as a mom is to read in writing something from your children that indicates maybe you did some things right, that they noticed, and most importantly, that it meant something to them. When I read the number '214' I started crying. I love to write and I love my kids, but who would have guessed 214 letters. I'm sure glad you're all home and I'm done with that. I am even more thankful that my letters were of great worth to you.
Thank you for taking time to put this on the blog. It meant a great deal to me Seth! Now it will be logged in a book to remember forever!
You're a great kid. I've always been proud of you and the young man you've grown into. You always have a lot of wisdom and insight and I can always turn to you for some good advice. Thanks for always helping me and for being a wonderful son! Being a mom to a son like you made being a mom pretty easy! Thanks! I love you!

Goose said...

LOVE YA MOM! HAPPY MOTHERS DAY!

Des said...

Mom!!! Your the best mom ever!!! :D You do so much. THANK YOU!! LOVE YOU

Gavin said...

Happy Mothers day mom, Seth nice work on showing all us boys up ha ha....oldest brother always leading the way man nice. Muth you are the best