Thursday, September 24, 2009

Happy Birthday Spenc e' Roo!



There are few things that rival spending time with your grandchildren, especially when they arrive at an age where they can tell you everything about life from their point of view! Spencer is turning six today and I'm telling you our conversations now are profound, philosophical and down right inspiring!

When my grandkids turn around four years of age they get to go birthday shopping and to lunch with grams. As the kids get older, I want to stress, it just gets funner and funner. Yesterday was Spencer's turn. He couldn't wait and neither could I. I picked him up in the car and as we started to drive that's when the talking began.

Right off the bat, he said, "Nana, I just want you to know that mom and I already had the talk."

I immediately turned the radio down and my ears perked right up. Hum, I thought . . . I can't wait to hear what's coming next.

He went on to expound with his wisdom like mannerisms, as if he was a man with great knowledge! I was watching him in my rear view mirror and his body language was amazing.

Then I heard him say, "Well you see Nana, my mom told me that if you say no, I can't have something, then I am just going to say to you, that's ok Nana!"

He finished up his facts with, "So see Nana I already know, and now you don't gotta tell me!"

Now isn't that refreshing? I can't tell you how I wish some adults would clue into this kind of open honest verbalization! There was no beating around the bush. He just told me like it was and I had great clarity!

Our next course of conversation centered around how he wasn't going to take a long time to pick out what he wanted once we got to the toy store because he had made up his mind ahead of time to seriously take a look at the Ben Ten watches because his friend Jacob had one of those.

I've never had so much fun talking to a kid in my whole life. Kids are not like adults. Their faces light up with enthusiasm when they speak and they bubble all over the place with energy and a passion for loving life.

When we got in the store we headed straight for the Ben Ten isle and in about five minutes Spencer found his watch and spotted a star wars costume and that was it, the selection had been made. I was a little worried the costume wasn't going to fit until Em looked on the internet for me and found that the site said it was built more for fat kids! Exact terminology by the way. Well, Spencer isn't fat and he was ecstatic when he got home and the costume fit perfectly.

What a fun day! Spencer is totally unique just like every single one of my grandchildren. I love him so much. He is probably one of the most thoughtful kids I've ever met. I know I say this all the time but I've seen Spencer save treats and things for an entire weekend, because he wanted to share with his sisters or his niece. He is a great example of charity and he's only six.

Our final conversation today took place about his party he's having. He told me how we were all going to fat cats and that he could only take one friend.

"Only one huh", I said. Then I asked, "Well, are you going to take Jacob or Jet?"

"Nope," he said, "I'm going to take my best friend."

Well, I was under the impression those were his best friends, so being ultimately curious, I asked, "Well who is your best friend?"

"Seppy!" he quickly retorted as if I had straw for brains! And I need to explain, his face bore the biggest grin ever. His face clearly verbalized his idea that maybe I was an idiot for not knowing that.

Well, that just about did me in. My old eyes filled up with water and I was a little choked up to say the least. The remainder of the conversation was Spencer telling me why he loves Seth and why he's his very best friend.

I guess that's what I love about Spencer. It's these sweet little unassuming things that rest quietly inside this small boy and then when I least expect it they just sort of spill out all over the place warming my heart and making me smile! I just have to say, for only being six he sure has a lot of things figured out.

I hope you have a great birthday 'Roo'! You are one terrific kid and oh how we all love you! Happy Birthday bud!

No comments: