Wednesday, June 2, 2010
1/2 Marathon Advice
With only ten days until the big event, I thought I'd share some great advice I've been given. If those of you who are also training have anything else to add please do!!!
I also want to take time to thank two people, Nancy McKellar and her son Jason. Nancy made the mistake of giving me Jason's cell number and I've sent many a text message full of questions to Jason and he has willingly shared his knowledge time and time again with me as well as Nancy. I'm so grateful for their willingness to share their wealth of knowledge. It's made such a difference in my training. Can't say thank you enough!
I'm also grateful to Mark Coleman for all the tidbits he shared with Kaedell all along the way. Mark is a hundred mile runner and Kaedell has shared some of his stories with me that are truly inspirational. I am waiting for her to post "The Peak" story! That really inspired me!
So here is my attempt to share everything I can remember. You might have to wade through it but I hope it will help my fellow runners who will also be out on the road doing their best! I'm so excited I can't stand it!
TIPS:
By the time race day comes you should have already broke in your shoes, and tried out your clothing several times to know for certain it all works. Clothing, shoes, hats, what ever you are wearing and packing should have been worn and tried out well in advance of the race. Any food or supplements should have been experimented with also. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO PULL SOMETHING OUT AT THE LAST MINUTE AND TRY IT, HOPING IT WILL WORK, WHETHER IT IS FOOD OR SOMETHING THAT GOES ON YOUR BODY. You've spent all this time breaking yourself in, now everything that goes with you should also have been broken in as well. Especially SHOES! Don't do or buy anything new to try out on the race day!
Cut your toenails a week prior to the race. That way they are not sore or too short!
Thursday night get a good nights rest, because Friday night, nerves usually take hold and getting a good nights rest is from what I've been told practically impossible.
Friday is the day to eat well and drink tons! Eat lots of complex carbs all day long and drink, drink, drink! You are fueling your body for a long period of exhaustion. Don't carbo load just the night before. Prepare your body throughout the week and especially the day before! It is imperative your eat and drink well on this day!
Make your list of things you'll need to bring NOW. Keep that list handy so that when ideas come to you, you can record them. Since the race is in in Bear Lake, pack your bag now. Get it ready and those things that you can pack, pack them now!
If you are going to listen to music, make you music list now. I just made mine last night so I could test in on the road this week.
Certain types of drinks make you urinate more than others. I've been told Gatorade is better for producing less urine! For those of you with weak bladders you may want to try Gatorade.
Some of the aide stations use powdered refueling drinks. Be careful if the color is RED. If it isn't diluted enough it can cause cramping. If you see the color red on race day be sure to drink water with the refueling drink if it tastes too strong.
The aide stations are worth their weight in gold. Be sure to walk through every single one. Eat and drink all you can. You will need this. The body needs refueling every 40 min! Practice eating and drinking on the run before hand. I've been told to squeeze the cup to a "V" and drink this way. Be polite and say thank you to the many volunteers that turn out to help you in your quest to do your best. They are there to serve you, be sure to show your gratitude for their efforts.
I've been told there is also manners that should be used on the road. Slower runners keep right. Make sure your music isn't so loud you can't hear someone coming up on your side. If there are lots of people around you, some people run with only one ear bud in.
Think about what to carry with you ahead of time. Practice carrying it. Some people like to carry bandaids, gum, kleenexes, and candy. I blow my nose on my shirt (I know it's gross, but it works better than trying to use up energy constantly reaching for a kleenex. My nose just drips straight water and having it on the front of my shirt keeps me moist and cool.) I carry nothing but my Gu.
Make sure anything you need that has a battery, watch etc. the battery is new, and your things are charged.
Eat at least 1 and 1/2 hrs prior to the race. You do not want all of the blood in your body to be busy in your stomach digesting food! I've been told a good pre-race breakfast is a bagel with peanut butter, a banana, and some sort of refueling drink. I've read eggs are good, but haven't tried eggs. I drink Ensure prior to my long runs and I've found it to be a good way to fuel without having something heavy on my gut. That info came to me from the people who run the one hundred mile races. I think I trust their opinion explicitly! Gatorade is also a good drink. I prefer the Ensure before the race and Gatorade during the race.
I loved this tip! Never take directions and advice from someone who is running less distance than you are. In other words someone who has only ran a 5K isn't going to be giving you the best info for running a 1/2 marathon!
The water and sports drinks will be provided at every 2nd mile marker. Gu, Cliff Bars, Veta Bars, and fruit will be provided at every fourth mile marker. Also there will be more of this plus snacks at the finish line. I really like the "Snickers Marathon Bars". I carry those with me. I snack on them all the way.They have the best flavor of any of the bars I've tried. You can get them at Walmart, over by the pharmacy.
Bear Lake has added a nice big bikers lane that starts on the tail end of the East side continuing around the south end of the lake. This is brand spankin' new! It's really nice and will make the race even better. Kadie and I were the first one's to run on it with the orange cones still in place. AWESOME!
Kaedell and I ran the course Monday. It is a beautiful course!!! It's pretty much all flat or slightly downhill. Only two or three slight inclines.
When we start on the East side of the lake there will be no sun. The mountain blocks it. This will be the coldest part of the run, (unless it's just bad weather period). If it's a beautiful day like Monday the east side will be cold, warming as we hit sun on the South end of the lake. The temperatures were perfect yesterday for a very light weight long sleeve shirt, and 3/4 or knee length pant. If you like to run in shorts you will be a little chilly to begin with but then you'll be fine if the sun is shinning. Remember there are drop boxes at every aide station to shed clothing. You can layer and drop things as you warm up! You can pick your clothing up on the basketball court when the race is over. Don't drop anything off that you value greatly. I've never heard of anyone not getting their things back, but there's always a first time. If the weather is nice, I plan on shedding my vest when I'm half way home!
I am very familiar with Bear Lake. It is my second home. Bear Lake is always three weeks behind in spring like weather. You will be running at a higher elevation. Bear Lake is typically cooler than down here at home. The snow melt hasn't kicked in yet and we were receiving snow there as late as the end of last week. The dandelions just barely popped out. It was 39 degrees when Kaedell and I started the course at 6:45-7:00 AM about when the real race will probably get started. Bear Lake can also be notorious for bad wind. Lucky for us usually the wind doesn't pick up until mid day. Last year however race day was rainy. Be prepared for any kind of weather!!!! come with layers you can shed. This is not going to be a hot summer run! It's still very cool up there!
The course begins over on the East side of Bear Lake just past the boat ramp. It comes around the South end of the lake heading us West and then turns us straight South towards Lake Town. We continue South only for about a block and a half and then we head straight West on a dirt road. Don't miss the dirt road please or you'll end up running an extra two miles! It's right after you cross the cattle guard. Turn Right!
The dirt road is only about a quarter mile long and then we hit the highway. BEAR LAKE IS NOT A CLOSED RACE! This road is busy with 55 mile an hour traffic. I wish they'd slow the traffic down at least but I don't think they do. You will be running with the traffic. This road is a major thorough fair for the trucking industry. Semi's packing cattle are a norm there! Also lots of travelers with RV's coming into or out of the Lake. It's a pretty busy road. Kaedell and I noticed the traffic really picks up around 8:30 AM. Unfortunately that's when I'll be on this stretch as well. Kadie and I juggled between running with the traffic and running against the traffic. Please don't get ran over crossing! When the highway turns and heads us Due North there's a good soft shoulder on the right side of the road to run on. I stick my arm out signaling to the cars I'm there and to get over! I find most drivers respect my arm and move over more. I'd rather lose my arm than my body! At least the movement tells them you are there and you have the right of way!
Once you leave the dirt road you are half way home people! After you leave the West side of the lake you will travel up a slight incline and then come down into Sweet water. Soon you will hit the bike path and from here on out you don't have to fight the traffic anymore! The bike path leads along the right side of the road, crossing over to the left side just past Pickle Ville Play house, continuing on the left side all the way to Garden City Park where you will have to cross the road one last time to head into the park and finish!
One last note. DO NOT RUN THROUGH SERIOUS PAIN! STOP!!! There was an article in the Standard just prior to the Ogden Marathon. It talked about people who hadn't trained properly and then found themselves in immense pain come race day. The article spoke of serious long term damage you can do to yourself by continuing to run through serious pain. So please be careful and listen to your body! Let's all run injury free!
Finally, this is the day you have worked for. ENJOY IT! I have worked so hard for this race. My time is going to be slow, but time was not my goal in this race! I am going to finish strong, that was my goal. Part of my goal was also to enjoy the journey, grow past myself, and I have done this every step of the way despite it's painful frustrating moments.
Monday Kaedell had to wait for me to take pictures of the animals along the way. We took our time and really enjoyed the morning. I loved it! I said to her as we neared the 12th mile marker. Come the day of the race just about all the fun will be over. It's the journey up this personal mountain of mine that has been the real reward. I have so enjoyed the journey and I've been able to share that with my daughter. I only wish I had all my girls running with me! I'm glad my extended family will be out there with us. It's been great to see people join in the excitement! The journey in traveling to this point however, has been the real reward! Race day is just the capstone to an amazing journey in learning how to get here.
Three cheers to everyone who has been out working hard! I never really understood how grueling the preparation is. There are so many obstacles to overcome in preparing to run a marathon. I applaud anyone for efforting and joining in the choice to rise above! Here's to race day! I'm praying for a cool sunny beautiful day, but no matter the weather I'm going to have fun!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I was going to say, "Good luck with your race". But you don't need luck. You have prepared and trained well. So what I will say, "I hope that you have fun, enjoy the race and the sense of accomplishment of completing this awesome goal."
Great job Faye!
Post a Comment