Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Utah State Still Great, Great, Great


So everyone's been asking, "Did she get it? Did she get the scholarship. The answer to that is no, and yes. Desi opened her letter and to everyone's dismay, no Ambassador Scholarship. This is where I launch into my dramatics on how sometimes the mother takes the news harder than the child. It's true, isn't it? I wanted to sit down and cry. After all, she truly deserved it. She had everything it takes to be one of the best, she IS one of the best, but for some unknown reason, she was not chosen. After hearing the news and wanting to cry, my next motherly instinct kicked in. You know, those ones that make you want to call up those people at Utah State and tell them what a bunch of idiots they are. I am a pure bread mother bear. As far as I'm concerned they missed out on a really great choice for someone to represent their school.

I must say at this point I worked through all of those emotions remarkably ---even Freud would have been impressed. Sometimes the best things to do with negative feelings is just let them go. So I did.

Des on the other hand was a little bummed, but took the news like a champ. The great part was in place of the Ambassador scholarship they did grant her a different Leadership scholarship.  It pays a substantial amount and Desi was thrilled about that. This is not the first scholarship she's been offered. This makes her second and she's waiting to hear on a third. She will have a good share of her tuition at Utah State paid! Kudos Des!

Well I personally want to tell my daughter, you rock in the Crowther Book of awesome people who are amazing. And all of us here (the whole famdamily) are so proud of all the great things you've done and will continue to do! And, I've said this all along, sometimes we get an idea in our heads and we center our hearts around it, but when it doesn't work out, I always like to think, maybe, just maybe, Heavenly Father has a better idea in mind. I have found this to be true more times than not.

I had to laugh after the news. It was late and Desi was sitting in her bed. I went up to say good-night and that's when Des said something to me that really caught me by surprise. She had that pondering look on her face and then she ended the evening with this, "You know mom, I'm not all that sad I didn't get the scholarship." I was a little taken back. "No," I said. She went on, "Nope, I was looking forward to sharing a room with Aubs and maybe me getting that scholarship would have changed how much time we could be together. We've both been so excited to go there together." So there you have it. Friendship prevails and all is well.

In closing, I just want to say, "Good job Des." You put forth a lot of work in applying for that program and you did a great job. We here at the Crow's nest are proud of you! You're awesome and we love you!

2 comments:

Gavin said...

Good job bud your the best!

Niki said...

I'm so glad she's coming to Utah State! She is going to love it! And tell her not to worry- there are TONS of other opportunities to lead and be involved! Utah State is the best! Go aggies!