Thursday, October 7, 2010

Photoshopping Life

The difference between a good image and a great image in digital photography often centers around an amazing little program Adobe created called "Photoshop."
When it comes to Adobe Photoshop, there are several different level programs you can purchase. You get to decide if you want to spend a little money or a lot!
When it comes to Adobe and all there is to choose from, you pay for what you get! My philosophy is "Go BIG or Go Home!" And yes, Adobe is a cousin to Apple, in that they are always designing newer and more improved versions to empty your wallet!
I want to make it clear. I love Adobe and there is not a better program! You can agree with me or you can be wrong!
Gavin asked me if I would photoshop a couple of really cool images he and Caroline took on their trip to the Grand Canyon. Gav said he'd like to blow them up and hang them on his wall.




Above is the original and below the enhanced image.




Both pictures were taken with a little point and shoot. The composition is awesome (way to go Gav) but the light is poor, (dingy and flat) and obviously the lens quality on the point and shoot isn't great.
Adobe to the rescue!! Sharpening the image alone enhances the color and brings a new depth to the photo. A little tweaking here and there and the image that was taken with a little point and shoot now takes on dimensions of having been shot with a good DSLR! Like I said, "I love Adobe!"




Again, above is the original and below the enhanced. I think I should lighten the trees a little more.




I love this image! Nice picture taking Gav! The colors are spectacular.

When ever I work on pictures for some reason I feel the spiritual in me take hold. I think that's why I love photography so much. I am a firm believer that photos do record the spiritual as well as the physical. Not only can I see it, but I can feel it in my soul as I'm working on the image.
After spending some time on these pictures, I got to thinking about trying to live my life without the spiritual element present to enhance it. I decided that would be like owning the best digital camera on the market and having no Adobe photoshop program to bring out the best in almost every shot. And while you can surely take a great picture right out of the camera, and that is every photographers goal. Most photographers rarely always shoot a perfect shot. That's where Adobe comes in. Adobe can always take a great picture and make it a little better.
I'm a photographer who is learning photography. I'm an amateur.  I'm on the bottom of the learning heap! Even when you get to the top though, and you get that chance to talk or learn from the finest men and women in photography, they will all tell you the same thing, "I'm still learning." I don't know any photographer no matter how good they are that won't tell you there is always something new to learn and improve upon in the realm of taking pictures.
This is why I love Adobe. Adobe always fixes a good share of my mistakes! While I try as hard as I can to get a good image straight out of the camera. I often mess up! But many times I'm thankful I can plug a photo into Adobe and fix quite a few of those little blunders. Hum, what does that remind you of?
Conference was this past weekend. I watched every session. Conference is an amazing spiritual experience that I can't get enough of. In every talk God personally delivers instruction, thoughts, and ideas that are meant personally for me. It's as if God Himself is spiritually photoshopping my life!
Living life with the spiritual wrapped around it brings out the best image in me! It is forgiving, uplifting, and brings to my life a deep fulfilling joy. And like the subject of photography. Learning how to improve myself and seeking to live my life on a sound spiritual plane is as overwhelming as learning how to take a great picture and develop it to it's maximum capacity!
Photography is the recording of light.
Living life spiritually is the recording of light in my soul!
Here's to enhancing the best in both!

2 comments:

Gavin said...

Awesome mom nicely done.

Kaedell said...

I LOVE Photoshop!