All these birds behave as if they are my children. Well, I am the head Mother Bird around here. I know they have this idea they belong to me because they keep moving in with me. I told you about the Woodpecker who took up residency on my satellite dish. And the Killdeer birds come every spring to nest in my tree rings out front or along side the driveway so they can get run over. There is an Owl that lives in the big tree across the road. I love it when he calls to me in the dead of night. Numerous birds fly in and out of my place all day long. I run a regular flight zone here! The Magpies have set up a subdivision in the pines out back. I have to fight with the starlings to stay away from my front porch. And on the East corner of my second dormer some little sparrow has made her permanent home under the eaves.
This spring the Robins came in droves. I walked out my bathroom door one day to shake my bedspread and this little mother bird swooped at my head like a F16 Fighting Falcon global aircraft. After her courageous attack on my gnarly morning hair, she landed on the branch in my Flowering Crab Apple tree. Look at her. She's glaring at me. You can barely see papa bird in the background keeping watch as well.
As I watched these birds I had to laugh at the behavior of the mother verses the father. It wasn't the father that was threatening to peck my eyes out for coming too close to their future family. After I shook the bedding that morning I turned around and to my surprise found they had built their beloved home right on top of my porch light. Glade kept telling me to rip it down. I didn't have the heart.
Over the course of hatching her young, Mother Bird and I got to be good friends. I'd check on her every morning and she'd hop out of the nest to the closest branch and watch me work. We'd converse about all sorts of things and I really got so that I loved our early morning visits.
Just as I got use to Mother Bird living with me down home, I drove up to the cabin one day and found her distant cousin had also taken up free room and board on top of my weed eater. See I told you they are just like my kids. Now they vacation with us too.
Lucky for this mama bird we have nothing to weed eat at the cabin and our weed eater is nothing more than a rusty cabin ornament.
I too am referred to as Mother Bird. . . I let her build her house.
The animal kingdom loves us. This year nearly the entire Bear Lake Pot Gut populous showed up at my cabin. At first I thought they were so cute. That was until I noticed they had built holes everywhere moving mass amounts of dirt to places I didn't need or want dirt. Then there was my neighbors beautiful grass, they ripped that up like a corn maze. After spending a few weeks watching these little varmints, I soon learned they were anything but cute. They had no respect for the fine place I'd built and they had no regard for anything or anyone who got in their way. When I saw how they were threatening to literally take over, I worried the birds had told them we are friendly people.
One morning I went out back to check on my little cabin bird family. Mother bird was going nuts and I discovered in sheer horror something had made it's way to the top of the weed eater and had eaten two of her little blue eggs.
After seeing how distraught the mother bird was I immediately declared war upon the Pot Gut world. I just know it was one of those fat bellied moochers that stole her eggs. I called up my friend and borrowed his high powered B'B' gun and put a bounty on some little brown heads.
We are not law abiding people. We shoot first and ask questions later. You can figure out the end of this tale. We protect our own!
Goose wanted me to post his trophy pictures. I must admit they are great shots of the hunt. However, I told him my blog is "G" rated and I don't want to upset any tree huggers and animal activists that might be blog lurking! But when I print my 2010 blog book, I'll add the pictures just for you Goose! I think you should have made yourself a Pot Gut hat!
I just know word of our protective services in the bird world is going to get out now. Oh well, it can't be helped. Us birds of a feather have got to stick together!








1 comment:
Hahahahahahahaha! I love the story! Except for the poor mother bird who lost her eggs-that was sad. These stories are funnier because I know how you and goose are and I'm pretty sure it was a whoop-whooping good time shooting those pot guts! Ha ha!!
Post a Comment