Friday I made an executive decision and went out and bought me a Wonder Mill.
For those of you who don't know what an executive decision is, it just means I went out and bought something without telling Glade. I do that alot! Lucky for me I married a man who just rolls his eyes a
few times and that's the extent of it. I've always loved my husband for putting up with my spending habits. I want you to know though, I didn't even get one eye roll when he found out I made homemade bread and used my food storage! See I'm no dummy, first I fed him the bread, then I showed him the mill!

As Ali and I got ready to start the bread, I got a phone call from Emilyn saying she was tied up and wouldn't be able to help me. I turned to Ali and exasperatedly said, "Now what am I going to do?" Ali looked up at me and with deep abiding sincerity said, "Don't worry Nana, I know how to do it really good! I know everything! I do it for my mom all the time!"
The wheat bucket say's 1999. I asked Ali if the wheat was too old. She assured me wheat is good forever, so I believed her.
After we spent five hours trying to get the lid off the bucket, Ali came up with a bright idea,
"I'll teach you how to make bread Nana, and you teach me how to take pictures."
Kids come up with the greatest ideas.
I went and got my little camera and put it in Ali's hands. I told her everything she needed to know.
I told her to look in the view finder and I asked her where my head was and where my knees were. I told her to hold the camera as still as possible and push the button.

Other than a little camera shake I think she did pretty good.
I told her to try it again. This time she said she was going to get all of me in the picture.
I think she's going to be a natural! What do you think?

After hours of trying to pry off a stupid lid on my buckets, I cracked out one of the bags and dumped my measured wheat into a bowl. It feels good to use my storage!

After Ali showed me how to assemble the mill I decided to call Emilyn. When she answered the phone, I told her I was a little concerned. "How come mom," she quickly replied. "A . . . hello dear, I'm taking instruction from a 4 year old." Emy assured me Alison is a pro when it comes to handling the mill. "She always grinds my wheat for me mom. You can trust her."
So here she is, my 4 year old instructor!
Emy was right, Ali is a pro at the mill and it wasn't long before my dough was looking pretty nice.

I love my Bosch! I've owned it now for over 30 years.
Lots of good things have come out of this machine!

Des finally joined us. She and Ali were practicing their camera skills taking self portraits.
Silly Girls!

Our bread making day was a hit and Ali you are a stupendous teacher!
Thanks for showing Nana the ropes!
few times and that's the extent of it. I've always loved my husband for putting up with my spending habits. I want you to know though, I didn't even get one eye roll when he found out I made homemade bread and used my food storage! See I'm no dummy, first I fed him the bread, then I showed him the mill!

As Ali and I got ready to start the bread, I got a phone call from Emilyn saying she was tied up and wouldn't be able to help me. I turned to Ali and exasperatedly said, "Now what am I going to do?" Ali looked up at me and with deep abiding sincerity said, "Don't worry Nana, I know how to do it really good! I know everything! I do it for my mom all the time!"
The wheat bucket say's 1999. I asked Ali if the wheat was too old. She assured me wheat is good forever, so I believed her.
After we spent five hours trying to get the lid off the bucket, Ali came up with a bright idea,
"I'll teach you how to make bread Nana, and you teach me how to take pictures."
Kids come up with the greatest ideas.
I went and got my little camera and put it in Ali's hands. I told her everything she needed to know.
I told her to look in the view finder and I asked her where my head was and where my knees were. I told her to hold the camera as still as possible and push the button.

Other than a little camera shake I think she did pretty good.
I told her to try it again. This time she said she was going to get all of me in the picture.
I think she's going to be a natural! What do you think?

After hours of trying to pry off a stupid lid on my buckets, I cracked out one of the bags and dumped my measured wheat into a bowl. It feels good to use my storage!

After Ali showed me how to assemble the mill I decided to call Emilyn. When she answered the phone, I told her I was a little concerned. "How come mom," she quickly replied. "A . . . hello dear, I'm taking instruction from a 4 year old." Emy assured me Alison is a pro when it comes to handling the mill. "She always grinds my wheat for me mom. You can trust her."

So here she is, my 4 year old instructor!
Emy was right, Ali is a pro at the mill and it wasn't long before my dough was looking pretty nice.

I love my Bosch! I've owned it now for over 30 years.
Lots of good things have come out of this machine!

Des finally joined us. She and Ali were practicing their camera skills taking self portraits.

Silly Girls!

Our bread making day was a hit and Ali you are a stupendous teacher!

Thanks for showing Nana the ropes!

5 comments:
I'll be over to use your machine mom:) I love that bread! Crack out your wheat cookbook and try some other recipes and then invite me over for a taste:)
I wish I lived close enough so I could get a few lessons. That is the one thing I would love to learn how to do...make homemade bread! It looks and sounds so yummy!! Maybe you could show me how sometime when we are in town :)
So how do you get the stupid lid off the bucket?? I can't figure it out!!! Talk about frustrating! I did make the bread with wheat from a tin can and it was DELICIOUS!!!! My family loves it too!
Great post Muth man I was laughing so hard Ali is so funny and the part about Dad was great too ha ha, I wish I could have some...my food storage doesn't contain any wheat I could make some Mountain Dew and Tortilla Chip bread know any recipes?
Corinne, the recipe is a cinch! You're going to love it. Val, you'll laugh at this. After fighting the bucket for hours, Seth finally came over and got the lid off for me. After that I cleaned out a drawer in my kitchen and found the lid opener. Hahahaha there's a wrench you buy to get the lids off. I forgot I had actually bought one in 1999 when I bought the wheat. Emy kept asking me if I had one. Turns out it was one of those things you keep in a drawer forever, never knowing what's it's for. As I cleaned out the drawer, I was like "What in the heck is this?" Then I read on it "Bucket Opener." I laughed myself silly!
Kaedell, thanks for reminding me about the book. And last but not least to Gavin. I've been looking everywhere for a whole wheat Mt. Dew recipe. I guess I'm just going to have to invent one.
Em, this is all your fault! Thanks for making us all healthier!
Post a Comment