Thursday, December 8, 2011

Get Some Fish


Goose has a fish tank. Let me just say it's awesome. Whenever I go into his room I always have to stop and stare. I enjoy spending time with the fish. They draw me in like Chocolate eclares at Macey's. I can't take myself away.

I have given the fish names. Goose has given them names. Yesterday he came home with some new ones. He also bought a blind fish. Goose named him Blinkin'. I love it. He's a cute little guy and I felt bad the other night because he can't see to eat. He lived for six months at the shop where Goose bought him, so we keep hoping he'll find a way to find his food and he can live with us a long time. Could you all pray for Blinkin'?

Today I stumbled onto something I just have to share. Got an ornery baby, a fussy child, a hyper kid. Get a fish tank.

I don't know who Dr. Dave is but he wrote into a prominant talk show on fussy children. He said he started with a 50 gallon tank in his office and he soon realized it immediately calmed the children down. He said the fish were so effective in keeping the children quiet he put a 150 gallon tank in and then bought another 50 gallon tank to put in the nurses office over at the hospital. He said the nurses also reported that when children came in and they were fussy and couldn't calm down they would sit them next to the fish tank. Immediately the kids would calm right down. Didn't matter the age either. He also said the tanks would hold the children's attention for longer periods of time than anything he'd ever seen. Besides the benifits of calming children down, fish don't shed, make noise, mark territory, or stink. One can also leave them for a few days without feeding them if gone on vacation.

Goose is that why you are such a calm child? I must admit in my early child development classes it was reported that two of the greatest things you could give kids to increase their abilities to learn and grow were playing in the mud, and fish. Now I'm curious, I wonder if it calms ornery adults? I'll sit by it and see.

There ya go! Get a fish!


1 comment: