Monday, August 30, 2010

A Blue Ribbon Winner!

Sometimes things happen in life that catch you totally off guard. They happen in a split second when you least expect them. And when they strike emotion fills your heart like a tidal wave instantaneously washing through you seeping through every pore. Those are some of the finest moments in life. And it feels so good when they strike.  They are moments you can't quite get enough of.
That's sort of how I felt when Kaedell told me she entered the photography contest in the Weber County Fair. I got a lump in my throat and was so proud of her just for entering. I asked her which picture she entered and she told me all about the photo. I know this photo well. It's one of my favorites.
The picture came about after Kaedell, wanting to take some pictures of Corbin and update her book, took him down to his Uncle Lynn's farm. Kyle's uncle has the perfect place for photographing a little boy. Corbin was excited to wear his cowboy hat and boots and the old red truck that sat at the back of the farm made the perfect setting.
That day it didn't take Corbin long to climb up on the hood of the old truck and strike a natural pose. He has long grown use to his mother constantly having a camera in her hand.
At the time Kaedell took the photograph, Corbin was into telling himself jokes. The funny part is he would laugh for a long time after he recited one. He was clearly taken with himself! I think this is when the creative juices started flowing in Kaedell's head because as she saw him sitting there so perfectly she told him she wanted to hear one of those good jokes. It didn't take Corbin long to respond. After telling his mother the joke he giggled as hard as a kid can. That's when Kaedell snapped the winning shot.
She then took the picture home and edited it and now everyone who sees it gives it a rave review. It hangs on my fridge and I'm always getting comments on it when anyone new comes in.





I just wish I could capture the words to tell you how I felt when Kaedell informed me the picture won first place. I try to envision it sitting there at the fair with a first place blue ribbon attached to it. I'm so mad I didn't get to see it.
It sits in her living room now. The ribbon is still attached but I would have liked to have stood by it at the fair and pointed out to every guest that meandered by, "That's my daughter!" If I'd known I would have stayed home from Lake Powell just to brag!
Even now I can't hold back the tears. It feels so good to see your children excel in the things they set out to do. Kaedell really has talent with a camera and a computer. Oh she has talent with a million other things too, but I love her photography.  And this picture is clearly a winner!
Way to go Bug! My blue ribbon winner!!! Gee whiz, can you tell I'm as proud as punch? You had better get entering more of these contests Kaedelly! You're GOOD and I'm just so tickled you won! It's the cutest picture ever!

1 comment:

valerie said...

Congratulations Kaedell!!! I always knew you were a good photographer....now everyone else knows too! =)