Saturday, November 21, 2009

Find My Phone

Thanks to Gavin, I own and utilize (just about every minute of every day,) an iPhone! I'm certain that while I was in Heaven, some arch angel stood in front of a massive group of spirits, myself included, proclaimed with a loud trump the estimated time line for when Apple would unveil it's impressive, super spectacular iPhone here on earth and that's how I pin pointed the dispensation I would come forth in!
Gavin has truly converted me to anything with an Apple on it! Yes, I'm a Mac Head, and thus my iPhone has become just another appendage attached to my body.
The other day I happened to discover a sweet app. that Mobile Me provides for iPhone users called "Find My Phone." If anyone's brain functions similar to mine then you are forever misplacing your phone.
I'm always absent mindedly sitting my phone down in some absurd place. This requires a time filled hunting spree accompanied by fierce rantings because invariably my mind doesn't remember where that absurd place is. These constant maniac filled search parties in and out of my house, rummaging through cars, back tracking every minute of my day, calling people and places I've frequented, trying desperately to find my removable appendage that hangs mostly on my ear are very time consuming, annoying and down right maddening!
This morning or last night, (take your pick) I did it again; I lost my phone. However this time I just came up to my computer, logged into Mobile Me, clicked on "Find My Phone," and this lovely little map you see above appeared right before my eyes. Technology is truly amazing!
The first thing that happens when you click the button "Find my phone," a little spinning wheel appears and then the above map pops up. Suddenly the next thing that appears is a nice blue circle surrounding the area the phone is located in. Keep in mind you must also have the application turned to the on position on your phone or it will not work. Well at least I was smart enough to do that!
I laughed so hard when I looked at the blue circle showing my phone was centrally located somewhere on North Plain City Road!
"No 'Shiz' Sherlock," (I must sadly confess) came to mind, but I didn't say it! (I've given up swearing!)
Now as I sat at my computer watching the little blue circle grow smaller and smaller, I thought about how this was useless information at the moment.
I already knew the phone was in my house somewhere, so I really didn't need the blue circle to tell me my phone was at my house, but once the circle had moved inward as far as it could go, the app. then allowed me to send a message on the phone as well as a pinging noise that would ping loudly for two solid minutes. Two really nice features for different reasons.
For the message, I wanted to say something simple and profound, so I typed in bold caps, "STUPID!" Clever huh? However, just in case you're thinking someone else might find your phone, you could type a message that said, "Call such and such a number to speak with the idiot that lost this phone --- please!" or you could go for a more bold approach and type something like, "If you find this phone and return it to me I'll give you a million dollars!" The app. allows you to type in what ever message you want. Cool huh?
Another great feature of this program is, if you feel your information is in jeopardy of being stolen by some low life, crime loving, identity thug, the app. also allows you to wipe your phone clean! Yup, it removes all of the information off your phone so some corrupt person can't get their hands on it. I am extremely impressed and amazed at what technology can do!
Well, after I wrote my clever little note to myself, I started the pinging sound. I had tried calling my phone several times from my house but that's the second thing that happens if you turn your phone on silence and forget to turn it back; you can call the phone all day long and not hear it. The pinging noise however sounds loudly regardless if your phone is on silence or not. Did I tell you how much I love Apple - yes I did!
Now here is the good part of the story. Last night late before I went to bed, I had been reading an article in the Reader's Digest. As I was sitting at my computer typing my personal message to myself (Stupid) I then hit the send button. When the pinging started, it was so loud it scared me half to death. There sitting next to my computer was the magazine I had been reading. And like the idiot that I sometimes am, I had stuck my phone inside the article in the middle of the Reader's Digest to mark my page; my phone was literally sitting right next to me. Great page marker huh? I laughed so hard when I opened up the magazine and saw the message on my phone blinking "STUPID!" Hahahah LOL!
Isn't life grand! If you're over fifty, get yourself an iPhone! You can entertain yourself all day with it!

3 comments:

Papa Bird said...

Well I am over fifty and believe that I am the only one in the family that doesnt own one. But I'm thinking that even with all those apps you have to be able to run them.....this I am unsure if I could master....I GUESS i'll have to settle for my prehistoric cell phone ,I still havint figured it out yet

Gavin said...

I love it ha ha ha I wish my keys and other things had that feature!

The Herd Mom said...

Faye, you really had me laughing with this one! I think I need to get myself an iPhone...