Monday, November 9, 2009

Create!



All men dream: but not equally.
Those who dream by night in the dusty
recesses of their mind wake in the day
to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers
of the day are dangerous men, for they may
act their dreams with open eyes, to make it
possible.
-T.E. Lawrence

I saw this little clip on Facebook about daring to create and just loved it. This month Desi and I started an oil painting class. Des loves art, is very good at it and has wanted to try oils for sometime. The instructor is a friend of mine and after much coaxing on her part and an offer of almost a two for one price, I decided to take her advice and join in. My thinking was, "What the heck"! Now keep in mind I don't have an artistic bone in my body when it comes to drawing or painting but for some reason it intrigued me so reluctantly I said yes.
Thursday we had our second class and actually got to dabble in the paint. Des picked up her brush and went right to town. I was so apprehensive and I kept saying, "Oh my", as I took brush in hand and began trying to paint a colorful rooster in black and white only. It was nerve wracking at first, awkward and foreign, but then something deep inside me started to enjoy it. It feels good to discover oneself! It feels good to express our spirits and to discover all we are capable of.
So when it comes to being creative just remember what Buckminster Fuller said, "There is nothing in a caterpillar that tells you it's going to be a butterfly." I love that quote! I'm certain there are many beautiful butterflies in each of us. We just have to be brave enough to reach inside ourselves and find them. Then we must create the window to set them free! I love the finding, the creating, the opening of the latch to a window in time that gives wings to all the richness of life in the art of expression. Because it's true God is the great creator and he created us in an expression of His pure love and so it is that we are born to do the same!

No comments: