
Need a good book to read? Gerald N. Lund's new book, "Hearing the Voice of the Lord" is a keeper. I just finished this book and I'm reading it again!
This book is about learning to understand principles and patterns of personal revelation. I think as children of God, we often fail to understand our right to personal revelation or how to recieve it and apply it in our lives.
Spencer W. Kimball said "The almighty is with this people. We shall have all the revelations that we shall need if we will do our duty and keep the commandments of God. . . Remember: If there be eyes to see, there will be visions to inspire. If there be ears to hear, there will be revelations to experience. If there be hearts which can understand, know this: that the exalting truths of Christ's gospel will no longer be hidden and mysterious, and all earnest seekers may know God and his program."
I found my favorite quote in this book after reading just the first few pages. "As Paul taught, the things of God appear foolish and illogical to the mind that is not touched by the Spirit. Paul said, ""The things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God. . . . The natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned." (1 Corinthians 2:11, 14)
I recently went through a very powerful experience in regards to some very personal revelation. It was not an experience I asked for or expected to receive. As I traveled through this experience I was so impacted by it. It has greatly changed me on the inside, a change I hope to never lose. The above quote holds a lot of meaning for me.
As I struggled to understand this experience and as I have struggled to keep it with me, I was praying for some help. That's when I found this book. I have such a testimony of prayer and this book was a great answer to my mine. The following quote brought me great comfort and reassured me that while this experience was very powerful to me, others might discern it as foolishness.
In reading the book I was reminded of how the world often times viewed Joseph Smith and I realize more and more how it is simply not for us to judge each other. The Lord has reserved that right for Himself, because only He knows our hearts and understands the varying circumstances and complexities of our lives!
I loved this book! I loved it so much I'm reading it twice! It's a great resource for helping us understand the tremendous power available to us as we call upon the Lord to guide us through our lives! Our Father in Heaven is always there!!! He wants to speak to us. Most important, He wants us to live worthy to hear His voice! It is a great comfort to me to know personal revelation is something my Father In Heaven wants to give me and that it is readily available to me if I live worthy. It is no small task to try to live worthy to receive it and I get discouraged when I fail! But, I'm reminded of that little saying "Be patient, God isn't finished with me yet!
"For by my Spirit will I enlighten them, and by my power will I make known unto them the secrets of my will------ yea, even those things which eye has not seen, nor ear heard, nor yet entered into the heart of man (D&C 76:5-8, 10.)
Check out this book! You won't be sorry!
1 comment:
I will definately read that book! BTW my mom was wondering if you would be interested in doing our family pictures? She was thinking Nov. 4? I don't know if you are available, but if you are let me or her know. She wants to get a picture of everyone before Casey and Ashley leave for school. Thanks!
Post a Comment