
I can't remember if I've ever posted this picture, but in looking through some of my old photos I had to stop and look twice when I got to this one. It looks like I'm pretty safe in saying I'm not the only one who is aging!
This picture was taken five years ago at my dad's funeral. And I'm sure I didn't take the picture because I would have never cut off Scott Barlow's head! Sorry Scott! This is what has made you hate having your picture taken huh?
As I look at this picture though, first of all I can't believe my dad has been gone for five years, and the second thing that really hit me hard is just how much our lives change over the years. The day you sat on those church chairs and smiled for just a moment did you ever anticipate that your life would be what it is today? Did you plan for life or did it take you by surprise? Better yet, did you plan for life and it took you by surprise anyway?
I think life has a way of doing just that no matter what we plan. Life certainly holds it's share of surprises! And we can all agree planning is good, planning is necessary but I think more importantly we need to plan for the unexpected! I'm sure you can look at this picture and see great joy that has come into your life and I'm also sure you can look back over the last five years and talk about the stress and the strains that hit just when you least expected it.
Well, I look at all these faces and it does my heart good. Because as I look I see those who have had to have great courage and overcome great heartache, I see those who are still working hard toward the goals at hand, I see lives that exemplify great things, lives that show forth determination and a spirit of never giving up; great examples in this little picture taken on a day that had it's own heartache encircled around it, that's what I see!
I think Grandpa would be mighty proud of this group of people. I know I am! I guess we'll see what the next five years bring. Buckle up kids, and hold on tight! Let's hope for the best and for Grandpa, lets sit tall in the saddle when the ridin' gets rough! I'm sure proud of all of you for all the good things you bring to this life and I love you dearly for it!
2 comments:
Way to make me cry! How fun to look back (we have definitely aged but I think we all look less geeky now). I love you lots! Thanks for the sweet post!
yes,I am in tears as well. When I look at that picture I see a family who might have issues every now and again but when faced with adversity, or joy they stick together...no matter what!!
I also see a group of people who love and encourage each other and have lots of fun when all together. And wow, what a difference 5 yrs makes...in all aspects.
great post..love you!!
Post a Comment