I'm not sure I'm ready for fall leaves, holidays, cold nippy nights, and snow. I think I'd rather have my busy stressful summer back. I do love summer stressful or not. But since fall is just around the corner I thought I'd better post my Apple Pie filling recipe for those of you who have a deep burning desire to bottle and can.
This recipe is made with Johnny Gold Apples. We put some up for the first time last year and it's a winner of a recipe. John Dixon gave it to me and he is Mr. Pie Guru of all times so you know it's got to be good. You can make all sorts of scrumptious recipes with it, such as; Apple crisp, cobblers and delicious homemade pie. So bottle some this year and you won't regret it.
Apple Pie Filling
Ingredients
4 1/2 cups of Sugar
1 cup Cornstarch
2 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Nutmeg
1 tsp Salt
3 Tbsp Lemon Juice
2-3 drops yellow food color
10 cups of Water
6 lbs of Johnny Gold Apples (usually ready 3rd week of Sept.)
Instructions
Blend first, sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, nutmeg, water and cook on the stove. Stir constantly until thick and bubbly. Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice and yellow food coloring. Pack apples peeled and sliced into quart bottles 3/4 or more full. Pour sauce over apples. Be sure to push apples down as you pour in sauce, getting out any air bubbles. Hot pack 20 Min.
Makes 5 quarts apple pie filling. You may double the recipe for 10-12 quarts of filling.
1 comment:
Thank you Faye!! I was just thinking the other day how wonderful it would be to put up Apple Pie Filling again. I used to a long time ago, and wouldn't you know it...I can't find my recipe. Love your blog...Keep up the good work!
Love, Nelda
Post a Comment