This picture is the beginning of a fan club!
The Super Cub Fan Club!
I'm so glad I had a ton a kids! I didn't know having 8 children would be so much fun. Now they are all grown up they are my greatest source of entertainment!
The other night I was sitting by the fire in Bear Lake watching them all play out on the golf course. As I sat there enjoying the literal fruits of my labor, I thought about how genuinely happy I was I had 8 of them. I decided having 8 was really a smart idea. See at any given point in time at least four them can come with me, so basically I always have a normal size family along! Hahahah how's that for sheer ingeniousness!
On Saturday night some friends of ours who manage the golf course there in Bear Lake drove over with a bunch of carts for a round of midnight golf. There is no picture to put on the blog because when the idea struck, they wouldn't let me go back and get my camera, but believe me I tried my hardest to convince them. You'll just have to take my word when I tell you watching green, blue, white, and red glowing balls sail through the air is a RIOT! We'd put a glow stick in the flag hole and take aim at the little yellow glowing light. Putting was as much fun as hitting off the tees.
Then there was the thrill of sailing down the hills in the golf carts going faster than a speeding bullet with no lights. I even did a triple spin around when I accidentally hit my breaks on the wet grass. I was seconds from going backwards into the canal when the cart finaly came to a stop. That got my heart rate pumping wildly!
Our hooting, loud laughing, and endless applause with every good hit even brought out the police. I love it when you get caught doing something LEGAL! The officer shined his light on Mike and Candice and realized he hadn't caught anyone doing anything! You should have seen the disappointment on his face. "Oh, it's just you," he said. It was a very disgruntled response.
Well, I thought midnight golf couldn't be beat until Gavin called us all out of the cabin last night with his Super Cub all lit up. The running lights were a blaze along the front and back of each wing, lighting up everything in sight as Gavin packed the plane over his head and we all headed to the grassy course.
"This is it folks!" He said. My first night run." Gavin's face was beaming with anticipation under the fiery glow of lights as he talked about being scared to let her go. He was so nervous and down right ridden with sheer anxiety even though he'd practiced for over twenty hours on the flight simulator. Flying those little toy planes in the sky is tougher than learning to fly the real thing.
Gavin ran hard giving the plane a giant shove as he let go. The engines fired and the plane took off and that was the coolest thing ever, watching it soar through the air, all lit up like a Christmas tree. Gavin even did some aerobatics. He'd cut the engine, looping the plane upside down in a giant circle. I thought we were going to get another visit from the police as we all hollered and shouted with every trick. We were spell bound when he brought it down out of the sky for the landing. Suddenly the plane soared right past us at eye level, hovering low to the earth as it made it's descent to the ground.
Hole number 2 is the perfect run way for a Super Cub to make its touch down. Those glowing lights in the black of the night with a full moon shinning overhead gave a radiant aurora to everything and made Gavin's first night flight simply magical! We shouted and cheered wildly as the luminous plane came to a stop.
The things you can do on a golf course at night are absolutely spectacular. What really makes them spectacular however is really not what you are doing, but who you are doing it with.
Like I said, I'm so glad I gave birth to 8 of the funnest people on the planet! I'm also tickled pink they in turn married more fun people. I'm glad they like to be with Glade and I. There is nothing I love more than spending time with my family. It is the most fulfilling thing I do in life.
As we walked off the golf course at the end our nights activities, I thought about what my life would be like without the people in front of me, and the one's at home. I was picking my way along the trail we've carved from the golf course to our cabin and suddenly I thought about Goose and Seth getting married, Deserey graduating, and then the thought struck about what it will be like when there's no kids left at home anymore. That's all it took, to bring on the tears. Suddenly there I was strolling down the little path weeping like a water fountain. It'll be a sad day. I don't care what anyone says. I hate it when my kids grow up and move away!
Yup I'm glad I had 8 kids. I think I'm sorry I didn't have ten. Family is everything and my family is the greatest blessing I enjoy!
So when can we do it again Gav? It was an amazing first flight!

1 comment:
Yeah gav that was awesome, way to put on a show for us all! night golfing was sooo cool.. to bad i duffed it in front of the girls like 20 times...oh well! nothins more manly then getting wasted by girls in sports.. and when i say girls i mean Gavin and Gage haha
Post a Comment