Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Springville Art Show

Des got some WAHOO news the other day. Seems not one but two of her art pieces have been chosen to be presented for competition in the Springville Art Show. By the way, this is no slouchy little art show. When Des got the word, we had to race to get them framed. When the framer caught wind of where these two pieces were headed she went the extra mile to see to it the framing could be done in time, then she went off on a tangent about how this show is very difficult to get into and what a complement it was to Deserey's work.

The pieces are done in ink, one tiny pen stroke after another. The first piece is of Eden Rose. The photograph was taken on the sidewalk in front of Kaedell's house. Eden always sits like that, knees tucked in and those plump little feet poking out. The picture featured here doesn't even begin to do justice to the piece when you stand close and view it in person. I wish you could see all the intricate tiny cross hairs that line the image. Desi's art teacher said those tiny cross hairs and painstaking strokes are what drew the piece into the contest. Des did an awesome job. I'm so proud of her.




'Innocent Discovery'



The second piece is of my brand new daughter in law, Haley. The real photograph was actually taken in Lake Powell during the summer. We were out skiing one morning. I had my camera, when I noticed Haley's hair blowing in the wind. She was seated on the deck of our ski boat. I looked up and snapped the frame. As a photograph, it was ok, but nothing spectacular. When Des got the assignment at school, she was a little perplexed. She needed to find a colored photograph she could transform into a solid contrast piece, something that would stand out and present itself well. That night she hunted through my pictures and stumbled upon this image of Haley.  Her artistic eye saw something, and within a few hours that night she had the picture completed. When she called me in and showed it to me, I was astounded to say the least. I should look through and find the real photograph, then you could be astounded too. She captured Haley without a single flaw.  Side note; she got an 'A'on the project.

Here we are today. We were all  pretty excited when Mrs. Montierth called Des out of class and told her not one, but two of her pieces were headed to the competition. We won't see them now for well over three months, if that. After the framing lots of people came over. There was some serious oohing and awing.  Now Des has to decide whether or not to sell them, and if in choosing to do so, how much to sell them for? If they go up for sale, looks like I'm getting out my plastic and buying up my first art pieces! Hahahaha Man With A Drill will faint when he reads this. Ok, I'm kidding . . .maybe . . .maybe not?

I snapped a couple of pictures before Des headed off to school this morning with her work. Good luck Des. The Crow's Nest is cheering for you. Your art is deeply inspiring. Keep up the good work!



'Haley'

5 comments:

Nancy Mc said...

WOW! and then I am speechless:)

Frank Zweegers said...

Beautiful work!

Gavin said...

Des you are freakin bomb ya know that I love you bud...I am so excited for you way to go! Maybe I'll put some silent bids in to drive the price up so Dad has to pay you the most for it ha ha ha

Kaedell said...

Des those are amazing! Love the one of Eden! Hope you win!

Des said...

haha Thanks everyone! My picture of Haley did get in to the springville show :D so exciting. my one of Eden didnt but now i'm entering that one into the Weber State show. Pretty exciting stuff! Thanks for the support I love you all!!