Today I gathered the mail.
Today I wondered what's wrong with people.
I had a complete melt down!
Seth said, "Dad's gone mom. People don't know."
I questioned, "Where has he gone Seth?"
Then I lamented through a mountain of tears,
"His clothes are still in the same place.
Everything here in my home is still in the same place.
We speak of him, we talk of him and we live with him in mind.
So excuse me, NO, HE IS NOT GONE!"
The last two weeks I find myself in a heap every time I gather the mail.
I am nearly to the point where I can't go to the mailbox at all.
There are people who send cards addressed the same as always,
Glade and Faye, Mr & Mrs. The Crowthers etc. etc. etc.
They address them the exact same way they've always addressed them.
(Thank you ever so much!)
And then there are those who have decided for some bizarre reason
to remove Glade's name from the envelope.
Please do not do that! P L E A S E!
I took the two cards that came in the mail today
And I wrote Glade's name next to mine on them.
I will never be Faye without Glade. Nope, NEVER!
And while he is gone physically
He will NEVER be gone spiritually and or mentally!
In an effort to inform people.
Here is how you can address the mail.
Please, don't change what once was!
Below is a sample letter.
This was printed on the back of Glade's funeral program.
"Death is nothing at all. It does
not count. I have only slipped away into
the next room. Nothing has happened. Everything remains exactly as it was. I am I, and you are you, And the old life that we lived so fondly together is untouched
unchanged. Whatever we were to each
other, that we are still.
Call me by the old familiar name.
Speak, of me in the easy way which you always used. Put no difference into your tone. Wear no forced air of solemnity or sorrow. Laugh as we always laughed at the little jokes that we enjoyed
together. Play, smile, think of me, pray
for me.
Let my name be ever the household word that it always was. Life means all that if ever meant. It is the name as it ever was. There is absolute and unbroken
continuity. What is this death but a
negligible accident? Why should I be out
of mind because I am out of sight? I am
waiting for you, for an interval, somewhere very near. Just around the corner.
All is well. Nothing is
hurt: nothing is lost. One brief moment and all will be as it was
before. How we shall laugh at the
trouble of parting when we meet again!" ~William Shakespeare
So in an effort to continue on as normal as possible.
Do not change how you address the mail.
Please. I need to see his name next to mine. Forever . . . as long as I live!

No comments:
Post a Comment