My mom died in her home Wednesday at 2:15 PM. She was 90 years old. I am so thankful I was able to care for her and be with her when she passed.
Five and a half years ago she sat in a hospital and was told by a physician she would never be able to live in her home on her own again, and that she should prepare to die. She was told her life expectancy was maybe, at the most, six months to a year.
My mom's response to that doctor will forever ring in my ears. She looked up at him and said, "I'll go home and die why I damn well please!"
I am happy to report today, she indeed proved the man wrong on BOTH accounts!
I cannot write today about my mother, about how much I love her, how indebted I am to her, how she carved my very being. I cannot write now about how much I'll miss every ounce of her and my home, about the chasmic void she has left me with, my eyes are too full. I will say in short however, she always told me I was her tribute, and I know she will forever be mine!
My mom is a great lady and the strongest woman I will ever know. To be her daughter is a divine privilege and I will eternally echo Abe Lincoln,
"EVERYTHING I AM I OWE TO MY ANGEL MOTHER!"
That day in the hospital, my mom was diagnosed with a severe hole in her heart. Now today, without a shadow of a doubt, forever more, there appears a giant gaping one in mine as well!
I love you mom!!!

2 comments:
She was such a special lady Faye. Truly Elect. And so is her daughter. Much love to you.
You have such a beautiful way with words Faye, such talent. I always feel better after visiting your blog, I'm so sorry for the hole in your heart...
Post a Comment